• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris Engines Made in Mexico

Snodawg

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Selah, WA
I think a few of you need to wipe the sleep out of your eyes. Polaris just sold out some American workers. Are they the only ones doing it? Clearly not. But when do people smell the f-ing coffee and wake up. First some minor manufacturing moves south. Then a little bit more. Then, BAM, you're sno-checking a Burrito-Pro RMK with salsa flames on the sides.

I am not trying to pin the USA's entire troubles on Polaris. But this same scenario has happened countless times before with nary a reaction from the sheeple. They say your vote matters. The vote that really does matter is your dollar. I am seriously reconsidering my Pro-RMK purchase.

This topic is far reaching. If all you want to do is ride, so be it. The legacy we are leaving our children is embarrassing. I wont take it lying down.

Rant off.

I too, am sad to see Poo head to Mexico and don't agree with outsourcing. But, I couldn't help but chuckle while reading this and looking at your ID..."Cumminszhere"....I may be assuming a little here, but my guess is you drive a Dodge Cummins. Have you ever taken one of those Cummins motors apart? I think every country in the world is stamped somewhere inside that engine. Not to mention the Dodge part of it.....

wrtmani

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kalispell, Mt
I work for for a John Deere dealer, and a few years ago Deeere closed it's engine plant in Dubuqe, Ia. Now JD engines are made in Torreon, Mexico or Saran, France. We are seeing tractors assembled in the states with Dana front axles assembled in China, tractors made in India and Mexico, filters from Israel, bearings from Slovakia, etc. Deere has made tractors for the American market at the Mannheim, Germany factory for years.

It used to be Deere built their own parts, had designers design and supply parts in house to fit a particular application. Now they outsource it so much that trying to get technical info from the assembly line engineers is harder because they always have to rely on info provided from the supplier, which is often incorrect or unavailable.

Welcome to business in the global marketplace!

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
This just in......A car load of Americans were caught trying to sneak into Mexico to flee the poor job market and falling economy. More at 11.

Press Uno for Espanol,,press DOS for Englais....LMFAO
They blame us for their drug war...our guns
They boycott AZ for a law WEAKER than the FEDERAL one on the books
Japan builds here 'cause it's cheaper
Where do you test sleds in Mexico?
Seems like a half @ssed Idea that won't affect much
U.S. supports Mexico already so......whats your point?

C
Feb 16, 2010
"I too, am sad to see Poo head to Mexico and don't agree with outsourcing. But, I couldn't help but chuckle while reading this and looking at your ID..."Cumminszhere"....I may be assuming a little here, but my guess is you drive a Dodge Cummins. Have you ever taken one of those Cummins motors apart? I think every country in the world is stamped somewhere inside that engine. Not to mention the Dodge part of it….."

Snodawg,

My eyes are wide open. I know Cummins has some blocks cast in Brazil, etc.

If you are in search of hypocrisy, your search continues.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The US-domestic content of any of our vehicles in this country is definitely low.

Weather that is a John Deere tractor, a GMC/Dodge/Ford/Toyota truck, a motorcycle, a snowmobile, Riding lawnmower, Golf cart, UTV, PWC, boat etc... You would be hard pressed to find ANY vehicle company that sells/operates in the USA that does not have some mfg facilities on foreign soil.

I wonder which sled made has the most domestic content in it?

If you are Pro-USA (like me) ...and that is what drives your purchase decisions, then shouldn't you purchase the one that has the highest US-domestic content?

Is/Was the Osceola plant that is the topic of this discussion a Union plant?

If so, which Unions are represented in this shop?

Also curious to find out , with more than just speculation, if ANY portion of the content of the snowmobiles offered from Polaris is going to come from this new plant in Mexico.

I do not see any mention of sled components being manufactured in Mexico.... Just UTV/ATV.

Polaris is saying that all snowmobile assembly will remain in Roseau and that any snowmobile related operations will be moved to Roseau.

Does anyone have any solid information that counters this info?
(Please cite your source so that we can all be better informed)

I'm VERY interested in finding out the facts here.

Last edited:

rocket

Premium Member
Jul 20, 2001
Wisconsin
Polaris

The US-domestic content of any of our vehicles in this country is definitely low.

Weather that is a John Deere tractor, a GMC/Dodge/Ford/Toyota truck, a motorcycle, a snowmobile, Riding lawnmower, Golf cart, UTV, PWC, boat etc... You would be hard pressed to find ANY vehicle company that sells/operates in the USA that does not have some mfg facilities on foreign soil.

I wonder which sled made has the most domestic content in it?

If you are Pro-USA (like me) ...and that is what drives your purchase decisions, then shouldn't you purchase the one that has the highest US-domestic content?

Is/Was the Osceola plant that is the topic of this discussion a Union plant?

If so, which Unions are represented in this shop?

Also curious to find out , with more than just speculation, if ANY portion of the content of the snowmobiles offered from Polaris is going to come from this new plant in Mexico.

I do not see any mention of sled components being manufactured in Mexico.... Just UTV/ATV.

Polaris is saying that all snowmobile assembly will remain in Roseau and that any snowmobile related operations will be moved to Roseau.

I'm VERY interested in finding out the facts here.

So far as I can find, you are correct as to the move being related to "non-snowmobile" manufacturing. The questionable areas would be whatever "component" manufacturing/assembly there was taking place. However, I would suspect that it wouldn't make any sense to move sled parts there because you would probably have to ship the parts BOTH DIRECTIONS for all the manufacturing process to take place. The plant in Osceola was "non-union", so it isn't that sort of issue. If it was, it probably would have been gone long ago.

As far as the "US content", I'm not naive enough to think that ANYTHING I buy will be fully US content. That isn't even possible anymore. Best we can hope for is "assembled in the USA". Frankly, I took some measure of pride in riding "toys" that were assembled here in the midwest - better yet some of those components originated in my own state. Once the plant winds down, neither one will be the case for Polaris ATV's. So for me, they've taken a big step backward and put themselves on equal footing with the rest of the mfrs. out there. I've never owned a motorized vehicle of any kind that was assembled outside the US....

D
Feb 26, 2009
So guys, what would happen if Canada and MExico decide not to buy any products made in USA? Canadians only buy Canadian product (no oil from Canada or Mexico exported to USA either, sorry, none-gonna have to get cozy with Mr Chavez because otherwise you will not be able to afford to drive anything with a motor) and Americans can only buy products produced within their own country. That will work great, and you all will have your manual labour assembly jobs and everything can go back to how it was for your parent's generation. Mr Lou Dobbs would love it.

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
Dave is joking but is right on. Were I President the iron works would reopen the epa would go away the irs would fall to the fair tax and made in America would reamerge but all the extra taxs would not be there to hinder global sales, plus thefed gov would srink buy 2 thirds, plus senators and reps would have to live by the laws they make, but that's just me oh ya a person could sit on only one corporate board at a time.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Quote: Big Gun
Is/Was the Oceola plant that is the topic of this discussion a Union plant?

If so, which Union?

Non-union...

I'm VERY interested in finding out the facts here..

Found this on Polaris' Facebook page...

"Yesterday, Polaris announced a realignment of our manufacturing operations that included the eventual sale or closure of the Osceola manufacturing operations. Questions have been raised of how this affects the manufacturing of Polaris snowmobiles, including our Liberty engine. Polaris snowmobile assembly will remain ...in our Roseau, MN facility, and assembly of the Liberty engine will move there. This allows us to have all snowmobile manufacturing and assembly in one location, it’s still an American made snowmobile. We have planned investments going into the Roseau plant as it becomes the Polaris Snowmobile Center of Excellence. We recognize that it is difficult news for our Osceola employees and we will make every effort to ease the transition. All employees impacted by these moves will be treated with the fairness and respect they deserve."

Looks like the Polaris Snowmobiles will still be made in Good Ole USA Made!!

Moving the sled related parts and engine production from Osceola Wi, to Roseau Mn.

I guess I'll be sticking with the company that has the highest US-domestic content in their sleds.

aniflag.gif

safe_image.php

Last edited:
R
Dec 10, 2007
I don't think Im missing the facts. The Liberty snowmobile engine is made in
Oseola right. That is the plant they are closing right. We here in Wisconsin
are going to loose 500+ workers at that plant. The snow engines are going to be made in Mexico. I feel very hurt but not suprized. Polaris is doing what they are. Just my feelings. I will never buy another new polaris product again.I also understand they do not care about me, but if 10000 or more people felt as strong about it as I do.That would affect them.I know where other sled are built.I accept that. They never boosted about made in the U.S.A. Thanks life will go on just fine but not on a new polaris.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Boycotting Polaris products will put even more US workers out of jobs.

I'm interested in keeping the facts straight, so please help point me in the right direction if my information is not accurate.

The Liberty snowmobile engine is made in Oseola right.
FACT

That is the plant they are closing right.
FACT... The production of the Osceola plant will be moved to USA and Mexican facilities.

We here in Wisconsin are going to loose 500+ workers at that plant.
FACT. Some of them will be given the option to relocate to Roseau, and other US locations. It is sad to see people loose their jobs, much of my family and friends lost their jobs and homes in the Detroit area... I am glad that Polaris is still in business in these tough times and still remains big employer of the US workforce.

The snow engines are going to be made in Mexico.
NOT FACT. This production is being moved to Roseau.
Polaris has stated that the Liberty Snowmobile engines that are currently made in the Osceola plant will be made in Roseau Mn. where the Osceola snowmobile related production will be moved to.

Last edited:

slash

Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2008
IDAHO FALLS 83404
ACCORDING TO MRS KNUDSON ONLY ATV UTV PARTS will be made in mex the engine is going to be moved to USA built plants.

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
Just so everyone is aware. Polaris did purchase an engine design/manufacturing facility in Switzerland last fall. They had already been using this plant for some motor design prior to the purchase. They are obviously aware of the need for outside influence for their engine designs. I wouldn't expect the Liberty name to continue to mean what it originally did. Not that the outside influence won't be welcome. In my book and I'm sure others, they have been needing some help in that department anyway, but it is truly sad that they just can't seem to hit the nail on the head with American engineering.
Some simple reverse engineering of some Japanese motors would reveal some pretty simple upgrades. Starting with their tolorances. Reguardless, Polaris executives have made some decisions we will have to live with. Hopefully in the end they do result in better built more dependable machines.

63nova

Jun 4, 2008
The flatlands
Looks like the Polaris Snowmobiles will still be made in Good Ole USA Made!!

Moving the sled related parts and engine production from Osceola Wi, to Roseau Mn.

I guess I'll be sticking with the company that has the highest US-domestic content in their sleds.

aniflag.gif

safe_image.php

Did anyone consider that the end result of this arrangement might be a BETTER Snowmobile?

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
The end result of keeping the Snowmbile and Snowmobile engine production in the USA at Roseau could very well result in a better sled.

The statement from Polaris Industries to clarify the Engine production location.

Yesterday, Polaris announced a realignment of our manufacturing operations that included the eventual sale or closure of the Osceola manufacturing operations.

Questions have been raised of how this affects the manufacturing of Polaris snowmobiles, including our Liberty engine.

Polaris snowmobile assembly will remain in our Roseau, MN facility, and assembly of the Liberty engine will be moved there.

This allows us to have all snowmobile manufacturing and assembly in one location; it’s still an American made snowmobile.

We have planned investments going into the Roseau plant as it becomes the Polaris Snowmobile Center of Excellence.

We recognize that it is difficult news for our Osceola employees and we will make every effort to ease the transition. All employees impacted by these moves will be treated with the fairness and respect they deserve.

Last edited:

slash

Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2008
IDAHO FALLS 83404
My 1st polaris had a fugi star engine ,never woried about engine failures,cranksbreaking,pistons sticking ,update for this or that,we rode real hard by todays standards back to back heat races at eagle river ,I would not atempt that on a liberty engine sled. Maby out sorcing is the best way to go BUT NOT MADE IN M E X I C O

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Monte... SwissAuto is the R&D company for Weber engines which are/have been used in the FST sleds. They employ 30 people and are strong in R&D for Powersports engines. Polaris purchased a section of this company... for what... they aren't saying yet. :face-icon-small-sho

Last edited:

allied1

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
SE ND
I don't agree with it either but.......

What about the tow vehicle you pull them with? Globally produced parts including Mexico.
What about the trailers you pull them with? Globally produced parts including Mexico.
What about the fuel you run in them? Less than 15% is produced in the US.
What about the clothing you wear when you ride them. Globally produced including Mexico.
This list could go on forever. We should start concentrating on how long we are going to be able to ride anything produced anywhere. THAT is my biggest concern looking at the current mess we are in.

C

clutch man

Sep 8, 2009
La pine Oregon
My 1st Polaris had a fugi star engine ,never woried about engine failures,cranksbreaking,pistons sticking ,update for this or that,we rode real hard by todays standards back to back heat races at eagle river ,I would not atempt that on a liberty engine sled. Maby out sorcing is the best way to go BUT NOT MADE IN M E X I C O

The Polaris XLT was the worst crank braking motor ever built, A fugi motor.
The first 600 in 83 broke cranks a fugi. the 500 with twin pipes broke cranks a fugi.
The best thing Polaris ever did was make there own motor. The Polaris 700 is one of the best motors ever built a liberty. Also the 600 small block a liberty.

Premium Features