• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cut SLP skiis?

Dunatic

MODERATOR: Paid Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Jan 24, 2003
Plain City, Utah
has anyone cut off the rear outer edge of their powder pros? It is supposed to make the ski not want to dive back down the hill when sidehilling, does it make a difference?

Does it really hurt the flotation of the ski?

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
I can't imagine that it would hurt flotation enough to notice. Something needs to be done to help them though. I had a pair on a 900 Cat and after 2 rides put the stock ones back on.

A

Anthony Oberti

Jul 4, 2001
Eagle, ID
Carl's Cycle is doing it to all of their Powder Pros. Must be helping in some way, otherwise I can't see them hacking on a pair of $400 skis.

Summit8

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2001
Fairview, MT
I'm gonna try it on mine, have about been dumped several times from the aggressive edges.

Like AO said, CC wouldn't be doing it to a set of $400 skis if it didn't work. My .02:D

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
Holz does it too. Check out the IQ with the ski's in the air on their side bar add on this site. I'm thinking about trying it on mine but I havn't had a chance to try them the way they are yet.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
I've been running them on my 660 that way for 2 years now. Got them from Carl's to try because I had complained about the PPs being scary when coming down hill on rough terrain. Jack sent me a set and said, "I fixed the scary grabby problem".

He did, I really like them now.

sled_guy

Dunatic

Staff member
Premium Member
Jan 24, 2003
Plain City, Utah
It looks like they just cut off the outside edge from the spindle back, I did mine, we'll see how it works, or is there more to it than just taking off the outside edge?

A
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City, SD
When is it that you are noticing the improvements with the skis, is it when sidehilling, carving, or both? Has anyone compared the cut skis to the uncut skis? I have had a pair on mine for 2 years and have been very impressed with them, sled is way more predictable than with the stock parabolics, floats WAY better and turns better.

Dunatic

Staff member
Premium Member
Jan 24, 2003
Plain City, Utah
Carls-ModPPweb400.jpg

http://www.carlscycle.com/eshopprod_cat_2438-19674_product_251173.Modified_Powder_Pro_Polaris_Sk.htm

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
My experience with the Powder Pros before getting the cut ones was on an '04 Vertical Escape Polaris. I term them "scary" because I would pull a climb and then turn out and start back down. The hill would be rough, maybe from other tracks or maybe it has bumps/holes/lumps on it. I would hit one of these spots in the snow which would unload the front suspension a bit and when it would come down, if it came down harder (tipped over a bit) on one ski then the friggin' things would grab and the sled would cut to the side.

It happened a couple of times so I pulled them off and went back to the SLTs which I really liked. I was discussing this with Jack and he said, "Yea, scary isn't it". So in my head I'm thinking that if Jack Struthers says they are scary then they ought to be terrifying to me.

The first of the next season Jack called me up and said he had found a fix for the problem and was sending me a set to try. That was 2, now going on 3 seasons ago and I have been running them ever since. I don't know what it is about cutting that piece off, but it made the ski super predictable on those downhills.

Others have complained about other things and that this also fixes them, but this is what I experienced.

sled_guy

Premium Features