• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014 Husaberg FE501 + 2015 MH ST Kit

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
I hope this thread finds usefulness for others. I did what i could to build the best snow bike I could for a "reasonable" (HAHA) amount of money. There are no crazy parts on my bike, just solid research and products that make sense. I wanted a solid bike that would work in all conditions and that I could make decent time on the road between riding spots. For me that meant a big bore bike (510cc) with a wider ratio tranny. I wanted max torque and good HP. I was concerned that that FE501 might have too much spacing between gears, but my bike pulls 2nd to 3rd shifts with zero issues due to all the torque. The torque of this motor works excellent. The gearing seems about perfect bone stock. The six speed means i can go just about whatever speed i want on the road, and 2nd and 3rd are perfect for all the steep gnarly riding i can throw at it. 1st is good for getting moving or respositioning things to take a poke at something steep. Not a wasted gear at all. I think a close ratio MX tranny with 6 speeds would be the best tranny out there, but it doesn't exist at this time, except maybe the one on a KTM 300XC?

Here's my list of parts and mods:

-started with a brand new 2014 Husaberg FE501 (road it in the summer to break it in, great bike!!)
-Snowchecked a 2015 MH ST kit.
-Did the Husaberg Euro open exhaust ECU flash
-Added the three map handlebar switch, run it in WILD all the time for max power
-Kept the stock header, but added an FMF silence with carbon tip. Never gets hot. Amazing. A touch loud, but overall excellent power. Really wakes the power up on the bike. This bike has nuts.
-Used a P3 carbon fiber pipe as to not burn my pants up, works great.
-Added a kick starter kit for backup. Did me no good on an extremely cold morning though. Could not get the bike to start at all. used one of those mini battery packs and she fired right up. Amazing product. Note to self. Keep bike on the tender, especially when its SUPER COLD! The super cold first-time starts really need juice!
-running stock bars with a 1" riser and Scotts Stabilizer. Works well. Perfect height. I love the KTM stock bend. My favorite of all bar bends so far. Stabilizer seems nice on the trails.
-Running full Cycra bark busters and full size hand guards. Keeps the wind off nicely and keeps my hands from getting broken on trees, no broken levers either.
-AME Grips/heaters. Excellent product. A little pricey, but just about perfect. Great grips, great tech, and easy install. Very cool! Direct battery wiring with voltage sensing. Will never drain the battery dead. Bike starts easily even with extended running with the grips on high.
-Running stock headlight housing but with Cyclops LED replacement lamp. This is the best budget lighting you can get. Crazy bright and just straight awesome for $69. Super impressed. Road out in the dark on New Years and the light performed amazingly. I didn't reduce speed at all as the lighting was superb.
-Fastway Adventure Pegs. They are the best. Period.
-60kg/mm fork springs. These are a pretty heavy duty spring and about the biggest you can put in WP 4CS fork. I was worried they'd be too stiff. Nope. They are nice. No noticable diving. I am still bottoming on big jumps though. Need to mess with compression settings i think some more. Hopefully I don't need to re-vavle.
-SuperMoto Acerbis front fender. Nice little fender, won't grab in POW and brake like the stock size. Acerbis white doesn't match Husky white though. Kinda lame.
-ordered my ST kit when i thought i was going be running a KTM. Ended up on a blue Berg. Opps. ST kit is all orange and looks awesome. So i changed out all my plastics to white Husky plastics and did a custom designed graphic kit from Vision Graphics. Looks trick!
-Currently running the stock plastic skid plate, which seems to work good enough. I think I may add the SXS motor enclosure and call it good to keep temps more consistent. Overall though, doesn't seem to have any issues with temp. Not running a guage though. Fan has turned on a few times, but nothing excessive. No boilovers and motor always seems nice and warm.

Overall, I'm very impressed with the bike and continue to think the big KTM/Berg/Husky makes a great snow bike. It doesn't rev out like a 450MX bike, but it doesn't need to. It just gets around and pulls at all RPMs. Impressive bike for sure! I couldn't be happier with the choice. One other thing I noticed that I was happy about was the fuel usage of this bike. I road all day on Saturday (stock tank, 2.7G) and didn't add a drop! Impressive to say the least. My reserve light hadn't even come on yet!

I'll post some pics here in a few minutes.

Last edited:

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
f1ca2d7cad353a2ee88cf2faf9b2a7c4.jpg

f03bd3cb3d7055e909b846ac42a65f19.jpg

229dd5c82a98e9a530215a910965d6d1.jpg

5b196f01f6f09e7a483109be51d45869.jpg

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
Nice setup. Very similar to mine except I have the 450 XCF.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
A 450XCF might be the perfect bike. Just wish it had a kick starter and 6th gear! Great motor though!

Ryanexcr

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2011
Washington State
Gearing

I had a KTM 530-excr and no have a KTM 500-exc along side a Husky FE-501 I have played around a lot with gearing and my sweet spot is 13-17-18-19 The best part is no need for any chain cutting or mods. Just sharing my experience. Nice setup you have, ride on.

:clap2:

Last edited:
N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
Just picked up a 14 FE501 and a power commander v. Does anyone have any custom mapping? I haven't used a programmer before.

upload_-1

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Just picked up a 14 FE501 and a power commander v. Does anyone have any custom mapping? I haven't used a programmer before.

upload_-1

Do a powercomander search and/or call them. They did an in house dyno tune on the husky/ktm 500. With just the powercomander V they picked up 6hp. They posted the results on here last fall. I'm sure they would share the program with you since you bought their product.

Premium Features