• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

DIY Ski and Board racks for your sled

L

Lushbomb

Moderator: Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
PAC NW
www.oneshotproduction.net
1700 miles on a DIY rack without one failure, crack, damage to board or sled tunnel can't be wrong.. and with many roll overs.. :)

if i had the $$$ on top of buying a brand new sled i would have gone to CRF in a heart beat..

so, not to knock any of the production rack co. out there at all.. the products are top notch and i would suggest going that route when $$$ is in hand.

but for those with a little skill, thought and little $.. a solid DIY rack is within reach for a small amount of chedder

Carbon77

Lifetime Membership
Jun 12, 2008
Yakivegas, WA
I'm so stoked we got this forum now!

I have one just like Lushbombs except I used the Voile Ski Straps: http://www.backcountry.com/voile-ski-straps-9-through-25-inches-vol0083 to attach them to the factory rack.

Works excellent and holds 2 ski's just fine. Oh yeah, and the ATV gun rack uses the same bolts as the plastic brake light holder that goes into the tunnel. Not to mention my cooler fits right in the middle, bungee cord from one gun rack to the other :)

_DSC0398.jpg

All in all I spent $30 total and has worked solid.

I
Sep 2, 2010
Seattle, Wa
I'm thinking that simple is going to win, the less parts/weight the better. just as long as it's solid and doesnt scrap up my tunnel, running boards or the board itself.

I saw Lushbomb's setup in person yesterday, totally solid solution. The only thing that I would add would be some kind of protection for the tip where it sits next to the running boards. even a stomp pad would work.

I bought a cfr rack thinking I could mod it to fit my tunnel but I would have to fab up alot of stuff to make it work on my stock king cat rack.

gun rack wins! super bomb setup.

P
Sep 26, 2010
Yes...the gun rack set up does seem like a winner.
Thanks again to Lushbomb for stopping by yesterday so we could check it out.
After seeing it in person, and how simple, light, and solid it is, I can't think of a better way to go.

snokaw

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
www.mhallmtbsnow.blogspot.com
http://mhallmtbsnow.blogspot.com/2008/12/snowmobile-snowboard-rack-system.html

I have some pictures of my gun rack set-up. One sled is a 2005 800 RMK 159" and the other sled in my blog posting is an 08' 700 RMK 155". A few years ago I used the gun racks on a 04' M6.

The one thing that I do is drill a center hole in the mount and put a screw into the bar on the sled so they don't spin. I've used this set-up for 5 years.

I bought an 08' M8 162" and the gun rack didn't seem to be as good of fit so I went with the X-Rack like Wasatchrider. The X-Rack is a bit heavy but a great set-up and it is an easy on and off the M8. I only had to drill 2 holes to mount the X-Rack.

It's great having this forum!!

IMG_2108.jpg IMG_2107.jpg IMG_2080.jpg IMG_2114.jpg IMG_2459.jpg IMG_2463.jpg

L

Lushbomb

Nov 26, 2008
PAC NW
how many bungee straps have you gone thru snokaw?
the double setup is rad.. but i can't see riding very hard with bungee being the only thing holding the boards in.. is there something else locking them in?

L

Lushbomb

Nov 26, 2008
PAC NW
never heard of the X-Rack actually.. $319 plus 20 shipping... ouch..
but!
MAKES THAT TERRAIN ACCESSABLE TO ANYONE WITH A SNOWMOBILE AND THE GUTS TO RIDE THERE!

:D

i swear all these company's are marking up- like 500% or more..
someone needs to make a $100 setup and they will own.

Carbon77

Lifetime Membership
Jun 12, 2008
Yakivegas, WA
The x-rack straps to the bumper too? I use the bumper constantly for towing people and it'd break the first time I did that :(

snokaw

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
www.mhallmtbsnow.blogspot.com
It is a bit spendy, I bought it a few years ago in the spring when they were running a special price. Then I didn't use it because the gun rack set-up worked so well on my new 08' Polaris. Was going to sell it, then I bought the M8 last fall and the X-Rack just fit on nice, so I kept it. I take it off if I'm not boarding.

Those are snowboard straps on the rear bumper. They don't really get in the way with a tow rope, I use a waterski rope off the bumper sometimes also.

D
Sep 19, 2008
Sandy, UT
I used the exact same gun racks that Lushbomb linked to, I was able to find them online for just a little bit less. I did it just a little bit differently though, I used 2 gun racks on one side to carry my skis. I don't ever plan to have the need to carry 2 sets of skis. This took about 15 minutes and no drilling or anything required.

1000000244.JPG

I tilted them just slightly, seems to hold the skis in there really well.

tomx

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bellevue, WA
www.youtube.com
Cool setup dfinn. How's the stress on your rails? And warping or bending yet? The big question: Have you rolled it yet with skis in the rack?

L

Lushbomb

Nov 26, 2008
PAC NW
dfinn.. those rubber straps that came attached to the racks r a good back up. but for surely i'd suggest fabricating somethign to lock them down good.. 1st set of bumps u hit they will pop out.. even a snowboard strap like i used would work killer!

D
Sep 19, 2008
Sandy, UT
Cool setup dfinn. How's the stress on your rails? And warping or bending yet? The big question: Have you rolled it yet with skis in the rack?

Haven't taken it out with skis yet. We just now have enough to coverage with this current storm to start getting after it. I plan on going out later this week, I'll report back.

B

Burtonbreck

Jan 16, 2010
Breck
Much needed thread!! IMO just buy the CFR racks, solid and well built. I use mine on an XP and have had no problems. Good to see so many guys shredding as well as riding. No matter where we sled i always have at least my no-board with in case we find an area that cant be passed up, if conditions allow. Again nice work on this, should be helpful to us sled/shred fellas and thats pretty much why I bought a sled. That being said its hard to beat deep pow turns on your machine!! Safe travels to all, turning out to be real nice early season here in Colorado.....

Premium Features