• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MCX Intake Screen Icing

N
Jan 11, 2008
Cherhill AB
I have been having issues with the intake prefilter icing up and freezing to the canister. Every time I stop, I have to clean it thouroughly, or it won't pull boost. First time I ran into the issue, it had a full layer of ice inside the canister.(don't want chunks falling into the intake) Is there any changes to setup behind the seat to help this out. Possibly the heat from the exhaust not helping?
Appreciate any ideas/opinions

R
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Sask
Same thing happened on my machine. I just chipped off the ice everytime I stopped, some times I had to use a small wrench to chip the ice off. The other thing that helped was just stopping for 10 to 15 min and the ice would melt off. I know that is hard to do when you are having so much fun but sometimes you just have to do it.

S
Nov 21, 2007
Alberta
Snorkelled mine out of the box so I have easy access to it. That way I can clean it off easier befre the snow melts. I also have a big K&N filter and screen coming today and plan on trying that as I am not totally sold on this new screen setup due to all the ice buildup. Pita when it loses boost because of a poor intake setup.

Last edited:
P
Nov 26, 2007
We've had no problem with any of the kits we have done. However, they have all had a snorkel put on them. Out from underneith the seat and up about 6".

R
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Sask
I would like to try a snorkel but I know that I would break it off swinging my leg back and forth over the seat.
I will probably try an under tunnel exhaust, and then I can carry more fuel also.

M

Mcx Nytro

Nov 26, 2007
Vernon BC
I have a tunnel dump so icing hasn't been a problem....yet...but try getting some of that material and making one that sits REAL loose(about one inch longer and real sloopy on the sides,,,yet sealed) to allow it to clean itself I think CR racing is doing that....02;)

S
Nov 21, 2007
Alberta
I put my big filter on today. Looks about the same size as the big Apex front mount ones. I have it out the back and cut away some of the plastc shield to give more clearance. Will try it tomorrow. With the size of this it should have much slower air velocity going through the filter so should be less prone to freezing.

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
I have had some issues.....I raised it up outta the back and still had some issues. Raised it more....like 12 inches up...worked well. Couple times a day I removed it and stuck it in the tail pipe to thaw it out. My pre filter is skin tight to.....maybe a looser one would help?

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
Check these pics out....Very deep snow but she still ran great!!

Nytrointakelowrise.jpg

Nytrosnorkelhirise.jpg

alrevedup

Lifetime Membership
May 12, 2007
New Mexico
We've had no problem with any of the kits we have done. However, they have all had a snorkel put on them. Out from underneith the seat and up about 6".

This is one of snorkels that Trey installed. It is flawless
It snowed 62 inches last week. We rode hard all day with no problems
snorkel.jpg

IMG_0131-1.jpg

P
Nov 21, 2007
HAYDEN, IDAHO
I just run 2 filters at the same time. The ice seems to come off very easily and only once did I have to wring my hand over it to de-ice it. Only the top and 1 side had a very minimal amount of snow/ice buildup. We had an exceptional day of powder. 6 ft in a week and only 1 small hiccup with snow/ice buildup. I am running an aftermarket VE tunnel and EZryde suspension that has the rear end way up in the air...so that may help quite a bit as well compared to stock.

Premium Features