• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gunnison/Crested Butte

G
The snow gods have been kind to us here in the last month or so. since 12/8/07 we have had 100+ inches of snow fall which has settled into a measurable 48"+ base.

12/31/07 we recieve another 36" of Powder measurable only where the wind didnt blow. ie.. in the trees, It was a stuck fest for the boondockers. I know, I was one of them.:face-icon-small-win

With 1-3 ft possible in the next 36 hrs, this weekends conditions will be good. visibility not so good, look to get out sunday afternoon, or for those of you that can skip work monday morning is looking prime.

I will hit the lake Irwin loop and old kebler with the BR2K Sunday night weather permitting.

G
we got hammered!

I haven't been out yet, forest service closed the trail head, to the commercial use effective 1/6-1/8/08. 5 of 7 sisters went. and ran out across the main trail.
Kebler pass is now a side hilling trail most of the way to the Y. There have been reports of trees down everywhere. Splains Gulch, lake Irwin old kebler, what a mess.

We are headed out this afternoon to cut the road back in. it will be rough for the next few days until we can re-cut the road and get the heavy equipment back out on the trail.

S
Nov 27, 2007
Castle Rock, CO
God is good

I was up all weekend and it was bottomless. However Sunday morning was scary to say the least. I have been riding Irwin for 20+years and have never seen such avalanche activity in my life! Broke trail to the campground and back and in that time Ruby slid all the way into the lower bowl, which was not a good start for the morning. On the way out from the Y to the trail head was freakin chaos; there was almost a 3 miles consistent avalanche with depths ranging from 3’ to 15’ across the road. If you are going to cut in the road take pictures I was to scared to stop, you are goig to have your hands full cutting a new road in that’s for sure. I hope everyone makes it out safe. Did the Lady break loose?

G
Did the Lady break loose?

Not yet, I was at the trailhead at noon to pull the key out of the cat so nobody can make a rough grooming run. I almost couldn't get to the cat. Nobody has plowed the av runout zone.

We decided not to cut anything until the av danger lowers.

Not to mention a idler wheel and tire got chewed up on the cat. it will be down for a few days waiting for a new tire.

It's nuts out there

S
Nov 27, 2007
Castle Rock, CO
Be safe I am sure a bunch of people have made it up there and hopefull back down safe. It snowed ice pellets for about 4 hours on Saturday AM then crazy fluff on that. Cant imagine what she looks like now there was over the hood snow from Ruby down.

alrevedup

Lifetime Membership
May 12, 2007
New Mexico
Has anyone tried to go up the Ohio Creek side? I would guess that the face above and below the pass slid.

We were at the Crested Butte Trailhead at 10 am on Sunday and it was erie(sp). I parked a 1/4 mile down the road. If the lady slides it is going to be epic. I hope no one has their sled or the cat parked in the run out path!.

We tried Cement Creek, way to scary. We tried to get up to Taylor, there were 15 to 20 slides that could be seen from the road and at least one the crossed the road, again way to scary. We finally went up Lost Canyon to get our fix. It was great fun and SAFE.

It is $%&@ing nuts out there

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Just looked up CAIC and it is extremely dangerous out there. Please take heed, or somebody else is gonna get killed.

yup yup, that's one of the pages i run through when i get to work. Scary stuff... stay home and wrench on the sled in the garage... dont' need any more bad news threads here.

S

Ski-Laxn

Nov 26, 2007
Longmont, Co
Is there anywhere to stay around there for about 10 guys where we can sled in sled out and fuel and eat for 4 days?

G
Kebler is back open & Another 12" fell last night.

CbRob and I cut Kebler to Rollin hills down old Kebler and back to the trailhead. Splains Gulch Ohio Cr. still uncut. Will wait for safer conditions to cut ohio cr. and the main road going into splains from kebler pass.

It's DEEP out there. watch from the mile markers and FS signs some are now covered but lurking just under the surface,some will likely reappear once this snow settles.

alrevedup

Lifetime Membership
May 12, 2007
New Mexico
Anyone been down the waterfall into Robinson Basin yet???

Sam

There are those with the sled and skills the get up there but my guess is that even they are not willing to attemp it. With this much snow just getting above the lake is a tall order. Maybe Byro or ????? has been up there.

Avy danger as of last night was lower than the day before, BUT the likelihood of human triggered slides remains more severe. It has been snowing most of the day 8" to 12" since midnite. Not too much wind.

Irwin is known for getting double or more snow than town, from any given storm. So there may be another foot or two or maybe three since yesterday. That is in addition to the many feet in the last week. Does anyone have a real number of feet at the Y or the lake?

Big fun, Big danger, I am chomping at the bit to ride Up there, but am trying to wait for the snowpack to strengthen. My thoughts all over the board on this post.

My parting thought is "Ride Smart, wear your beacon, Only One person on any given hill side and Don't watch in the runout zone. OHYEA.................Ride IT like you stole IT:D

http://www.cbavalanchecenter.org/page.cfm?pageid=6869

Last edited:
S

SSWIM

Nov 19, 2001
Grand Junction, Colorado
We ride the area frequently. The slide danger is high in the basins no doubt. It should be safe to skirt the lower draw up to the waterfall. The bottom of the waterfall, where it dumps into Robinson, could still be sketchy though. Irwin does in fact get MUCH more snow than the Butte. Breaking the Dyke trail out will be great fun.

Sam

Last edited:

alrevedup

Lifetime Membership
May 12, 2007
New Mexico
We ride the area frequently. The slide danger is high in the basins no doubt. It should be safe to skirt the lower draw up to the waterfall. The bottom of the waterfall, where it dumps into Robinson, could still be sketchy though. Irwin does in fact get MUCH more snow than the Butte. Breaking the Dikes trail out will be great fun.

Sam

Let us know if Robisons has slid. Those south and west facing aspects may have filled the basin with a lot of snow. You are smart to go in from the bottom and not along the top.

Riding up the Dyke trail is going to be crazy. I hope you're bringing a lot of hp and track.:beer;

M
Nov 26, 2007
Crested Butte, CO
Sswim -

Everybody is drooling to get into Irwin/Dyke right now...be patient, be safe.
Stuff that we could ride 2 weeks ago, isn't safe now.

It's not the time to be testing snowpack with a sled in Robinson's - the wind loading the our mountains is 15-yr Epic - dangerous. We're getting more snow/wind right now, and there are multiple weak TG layers in the snowpack. About 2/3 of our SE faces have released, and the remaining slopes are loading more and more.

If you go, wear a beacon/locator and let someone know when/were we will be searching for you. Certainly not advised at this time.

MD.

S
Nov 27, 2007
Castle Rock, CO
My place is just on the edge of the Basin and Sunday Ruby slid pretty good not as bad as some years but I bet the basin bowl looks like a bomb went off! Riding this weekend was probable the best in a long time if not ever. the 154xp did incredable dispite the belt but 20min of WOT is trying on any machine:D Wish I was there!

S

SSWIM

Nov 19, 2001
Grand Junction, Colorado
Let us know if Robisons has slid. Those south and west facing aspects may have filled the basin with a lot of snow. You are smart to go in from the bottom and not along the top.

Riding up the Dyke trail is going to be crazy. I hope you're bringing a lot of hp and track.:beer;

TAPEX with a 2871 should get the job done. Weather may break a little this weekend. We ride smart and safe. Someone said something about a beacon. We NEVER ride without them, although I DO NOT want to put it to use. Scarf (sp.) ridge will be interesting. I would imagine there are some rather "large" cornices up there now.

Sam

Premium Features