• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Summit 850: Ratchet, Slap, Rocks and Carnage!!

X

Xrider

Jul 9, 2001
Montana
I bet his sled isn't stock and I have a hard time believing that just removing the felt is going to make the difference. He is a paid sponsor from Ski-Doo so take that what its worth. I got a 850 165 3 inch and when I checked the clutches they would always steam the moisture off my hands. Sleds got 170km on it and it look's like the string on the belt is starting to let go. Snow was deep, first ride out got stuck lots so the clutches had lots of time to cool off but don't take long to get hot again.
He said several of his sleds had over 800 hard miles with no belt problems. Leads me to believe that some sleds for whatever reason may have a problem and some sleds don't. I tend to think he's being honest.

L
Feb 13, 2010
nl, canada
He said several of his sleds had over 800 hard miles with no belt problems. Leads me to believe that some sleds for whatever reason may have a problem and some sleds don't. I tend to think he's being honest.

I would sure like to no what other mods He has done to the sled besides a few discarded pieces of foam and a cut cover.... if Bret can pull 800 miles out of the G4 without a cracked bulkhead and same belt this sled will do ME a decade lol

N
Oct 25, 2009
Just seen this posted today on s&M gen4 forum , great news too hear as far as I am concerned>>>>>>>>

Well I just got off the phone and some most excellent news from Riverside and BRP.
BRP has recognized that there are more broken bulkheads than are acceptable.

The repair cost for the modules and installation will be covered by BRP - I did the damage and rightfully the cost anything else will be mine.
This is exceptional news and will do wonders for the G4 and the rebuilding of the sled's reputation of durability and corporate backing.

I don't think there was ever a moment were performance was in question.
It is just dam fawkin great that there is sunshine o the horizon provided by BRP.
And a huge huge thanks to Corey that got this pushed through.
YOU DA MAN FOR SURE!!!!!

Puts a ton of faith back into BRP and how the future of the G4 will progress.
I would say take your cases to your dealer - I hit a rock and that falls on abuse and my fault.
What support a person gets will invariably depend on each case but there is definatly hope.

I am a reborn believer in BRP.
No I will not put out a video and no I will not throw doolaid at everyone.
We got two guys or that already.

I am so happy I'm gonna knock off work early and celebrate at the wife's expense!!!!

The performance of the sled is just killer and now it's got some backing.<<<<<<<<<<<<<

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Just seen this posted today on s&M gen4 forum , great news too hear as far as I am concerned>>>>>>>>

Well I just got off the phone and some most excellent news from Riverside and BRP.

The repair cost for the modules and installation will be covered by BRP - I did the damage and rightfully the cost anything else will be mine.

This is exceptional news and will do wonders for the G4 and the rebuilding of the sled's reputation of durability and corporate backing.

I don't think there was ever a moment were performance was in question. It is just dam fawkin great that there is sunshine o the horizon provided by BRP.

YOU DA MAN FOR SURE!!!!!

I would say take your cases to your dealer - I hit a rock and that falls on abuse and my fault.

What support a person gets will invariably depend on each case but there is definatly hope.

I am so happy I'm gonna knock off work early and celebrate at the wife's expense!!!!

The performance of the sled is just killer and now it's got some backing.<<<<<<<<<<<<<

OUTSTANDING NEWS!

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
boy that's great news , the only thing i would be concerned about is if they have a new stronger part, it' kind of like going to a restraunt and getting a bowl of soup with a hair in it and the waiter tells you he will bring you another just like it,:face-icon-small-hap

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Ski Doo could have avoided this altogether by not letting intelligent, experienced, and highly skilled riders do the testing on the new chassis. They should have hired a bunch of idiotic dumb asses from internet forums to go test and crash their expensive sleds into boulders and stumps to realize there chassis sucks for crashing into stuff. :face-icon-small-con

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
www.alternativeimpact.com

I don't think there was ever a moment were performance was in question.
It is just dam fawkin great that there is sunshine o the horizon provided by BRP.
YOU DA MAN FOR SURE!!!!!

Really hope that is true. For the sake of the upcoming snow check just around the corner it would be a good idea. They read these forums without a doubt. It all helps

CaptNCoke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Edgewood, Wa
Ski Doo could have avoided this altogether by not letting intelligent, experienced, and highly skilled riders do the testing on the new chassis. They should have hired a bunch of idiotic dumb asses from internet forums to go test and crash their expensive sleds into boulders and stumps to realize there chassis sucks for crashing into stuff. :face-icon-small-con

Now that's funny chit!

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
But here is the problem, you get a rebuilt sled with the same failure prone part? Is the replacement a re-designed/metallurgically sound piece? I would hope it includes a reinforcement update at a minimum!

B

blk9038

Aug 8, 2011
puyallup/edgewood
So, I can GUESS which rock caused this looking back in hindsight, but at the time I would NOT have suspected ANY significant damage from what I thought was a pretty minor hit that I went up and over on a gentle slope I was climbing down in Hell Roaring..

Oh well
Live and learn

These Doos are a whole lot more fragile than my nytros were.

There is a trade off to save all this weight, all that armor on the yammi costs pounds but apparently saves $$$

This one is going to be Expensive!!

so Chris I want to thank you for posting this as I read this and next day my friend and myself took a ride on sleds to check out our riding area from last season and this season way more pow and not much base, so wanted to break in sled 850x2.5 in 165 with 228 miles on it so dropped into bowl area and littered with rocks from wind blown pow (ezmirelda/lk ann area) wow, so we tried real carefull not to hit any and we were going real slow so when we did hit them seems only skis took a hit (checked bottom/bulkhead/skis/track) we tried getting out of bowl as soon as we dropped in probably hit 4 or 5 rocks 3 sent me off to side of sled, but thank God and you for the warning here are pict's of skis (both sides) thanks again for warning and ya as soon as skidplates avail sign me up.

IMG_9633.jpg IMG_9631.jpg IMG_9630.jpg IMG_9628.jpg IMG_9586.jpg IMG_9597.jpg IMG_9604.jpg

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
so Chris I want to thank you for posting this as I read this and next day my friend and myself took a ride on sleds to check out our riding area from last season and this season way more pow and not much base, so wanted to break in sled 850x2.5 in 165 with 228 miles on it so dropped into bowl area and littered with rocks from wind blown pow (ezmirelda/lk ann area) wow, so we tried real carefull not to hit any and we were going real slow so when we did hit them seems only skis took a hit (checked bottom/bulkhead/skis/track) we tried getting out of bowl as soon as we dropped in probably hit 4 or 5 rocks 3 sent me off to side of sled, but thank God and you for the warning here are pict's of skis (both sides) thanks again for warning and ya as soon as skidplates avail sign me up.
Dang.
You got knocked off the sled THREE TIMES and walked about with NO DAMAGE?

Brother, YOU ARE LIVING RIGHT!!!!

Thats awesome to hear, honestly don't want to see anyone make the same mistakes that i did and have to lose a few precious weeks of riding to making repairs!

This is SUCH a strange season opening...
LOADS of snow, and still NO BASE beneath it.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
So whats the word chris? BRP going to warranty the broken bulk head on your sons sled? Sounds like some of these are getting covered. I would surely think one guy, that bought three 850's would be getting his covered? Eric

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So whats the word chris? BRP going to warranty the broken bulk head on your sons sled? Sounds like some of these are getting covered. I would surely think one guy, that bought three 850's would be getting his covered? Eric
No word on any of it right now.
I have the RARE pleasure of having the actual impact that broke the bulkhead on video, and BRP is reviewing it.

But like I said, honestly, I don't think it's their fault.
My son slammed into a hidden boulder.

he wasn't going very fast, but its pretty clear it was a HARD HIT.
Tossed the sled over and threw him off.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fchristopher.parrett.7%2Fvideos%2F1219028051483921%2F&show_text=0&width=560" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="315" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
No word on any of it right now.
I have the RARE pleasure of having the actual impact that broke the bulkhead on video, and BRP is reviewing it.

But like I said, honestly, I don't think it's their fault.
My son slammed into a hidden boulder.

he wasn't going very fast, but its pretty clear it was a HARD HIT.
Tossed the sled over and threw him off.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fchristopher.parrett.7%2Fvideos%2F1219028051483921%2F&show_text=0&width=560" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="315" frameborder="0"></iframe>
That hit should not cause serious structural damage IMO
Many similar episodes over the years and NEVER more than an a arm.
Usually dust off and good to go.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I'm still of the opinion that was not a hard hit. It really just looks like he was leaned to the left and the right ski hit something a popped that side of the sled up. The amount of damage done to the sled from that impact still seems excessive. It's not like he was thrown over the bars, he's still on the side of the sled in that video.

Unless....

After that happened did you still have a few days riding? Maybe that started the crack and it got worse with the added riding?

Either way I am curious to see what comes of all of this. It sounds like Snowest is not the only place talking about this and if BRP is looking into it that must mean that there is a bigger issue maybe.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I'm still of the opinion that was not a hard hit. It really just looks like he was leaned to the left and the right ski hit something a popped that side of the sled up. The amount of damage done to the sled from that impact still seems excessive. It's not like he was thrown over the bars, he's still on the side of the sled in that video.

Unless....

After that happened did you still have a few days riding? Maybe that started the crack and it got worse with the added riding?

Either way I am curious to see what comes of all of this. It sounds like Snowest is not the only place talking about this and if BRP is looking into it that must mean that there is a bigger issue maybe.

We did NOT discover the crack that weekend, and not until we had spent a FULL DAY on Mt. Jefferson.

So the sled had 3 MORE FULL days of riding and miscellaneous "Hits" before we found the damage.

Premium Features