• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XP Ring Gear

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I've seen it asked but not much response. I weighed my ring gear at 700 grams or over 1.5 lbs. Spinning at 8000+ rpm at that diameter must take alot of power to spin up. Is anybody going against Doo's recommendations and running without it? The race clutches are about 3 lbs. lighter so obviously the 800R doesn't need the flywheel. Also the ring gear doesn't appear to have any balancing marks on it and seems uniform so I don't think removing will throw the clutch balance out.

Comments and experiences please.

A buddy of mine just removed his before this past weekend, we put on about 130 miles in two days and he had no problems. I might take mine off next time I have the clutch off. Should have done it last night, but did not.

I have heard of, but not personal experience, that many have removed them from the 07's without any problems.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
A buddy of mine just removed his before this past weekend, we put on about 130 miles in two days and he had no problems. I might take mine off next time I have the clutch off. Should have done it last night, but did not.

I have heard of, but not personal experience, that many have removed them from the 07's without any problems.

Did it rev up faster?

C
Jan 26, 2002
Alaska
mine is ...***cough*** removed ***cough*** from my 07 800r. no prolems yet...oh wait...my sled is in the shop waiting for a motor... (top end went)

"they" say it is to lower the harmonic frequency in which the motor shakes..or something like that... It is supposed to prolong crank and bearing life.

my dealer didnt care that my ring gear was off...or that i had a tra 3 on there..he he he

and YES.....IT SPOOLS UP MUCH QUICKER!

i have talked to several dealers that claim it needs to stay on there for balance and no explanation,(meaning they are clueless)(BRP told us it has to stay on) but i to have not seen any markings on the gear to suggest it is or was balanced on the clutch, the gear can not be manufactured perfectly balanced on its own. Yes in theory it will rev faster which is a plus but once the mass is moving the momentum created will continue to stay moving easier and longer, in other words it will take a greater force to slow or stop it like load from the outside world (snow, uphill, etc.)i have messed around with this theory for quite awhile dealing with flywheel lightning or adding weight and yes you can go to light and loose that pull you feel in the seat of your pants, JMO

Premium Features