• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ski-Doo: New Lineup REVEAL 2024

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Archaic torsion springs need to go, across the whole deep snow lineup IMO. They work ok but seriously it's a 2024 sled now. 180hp, water injection, LED headlights, touch screen dash, and springs from... the biblical era? The again I drive a torsion bar Duramax for the drivetrain. I'll be converting to Floats.

Ordering a Freeride Turbo R to compliment my Shredder RE 154 TurboR. I am somewhat second guessing whether to keep my order 154" (probably) or get the 146 and have the option to put a 154" under it.

Does anyone think that on a Gen5 turbo there may be any noticeable loss of cooling efficiency running a 154 track on a 146 model (137 actual length) tunnel? Could enough chucked snow escape to noticeably reduce cooling efficiency and increase the likelihood of overheating? People riding behind you are another story...

Eliminating T-Mo and FlexEdge on the Freeride was a right move on the Freeride but would have liked to see it on other sleds. Seems like Doo basically looked at what the target Freeride market liked about the Shredder RE and copy and pasted the easy bolt on parts over to the Freeride. If I didn't already have a Shredder RE and want a similar but different sled that can be built lighter and with easier to buy OEM parts, I'd probably be ordering... a Shredder RE.

Freeride Spindles: IF they are the same as what comes on the Shredder RE, I swapped mine off my Shredder RE in favor of Ice Age Elevates. If the info I got was correct the Shredder spindles are shorter than Summit spindles at least were on 23 sleds. My Shredder understeered a lot on trail and obviously that's not a really big priority on this sled or why I switched spindles, but it's worth noting that the taller spindles second-benefit improve this from what I can tell due to increased ski pressure. The reason that matters the most is because the Shredder eats trail whoops so well it's a bummer to have to slow down just because it's understeering on flat turns. Surprising since shoprter spindles would seem more planted and lower CG but somehow that's definitely the case for me. Still dialing in the rest of the Shredder RE suspension to be optimized with the Elevate spindles but that's another topic.

Another reason I checked a Freeride is while I enjoyed the Lynx Blade DS skis in deep powder they are a chore to ride on crappier harder bumpy snow especially sidehilling. I just switched them to DS3s and like them better for this. Skis are not that expensive or hard to switch but I am not particularly interested in doing that on another expensive sled. Lynx said they never designed this sled for the NA markets so whatever no blame there, they are great for jumping and deep pow.

I broke a ski shock on my Shredder RE and Freeride parts are easier to get.

They were also unclear whether the Freeride REAR suspension was beefed up along with the front vs. '22, which I personally think it could benefit from for its intended purpose.. Back to back comparison riding vs. my Shredder RE the Freeride is a mushy squatty wheelie hoe that transfers like crazy even on full stiff spring preload and limited sucked max tight. Even then its a wheelie monster vs. Shredder RE on 3rd or 4th hole, tons of FTS spring preload and medium RTS shock. I'm unclear how the 23 Freeride is supposed to be a "big hit" sled stock wish such a soft rear suspension. My riding buddy with a 23 FR bottoms his out regularly on max preload as an avid jumper even on small jumps and even though he's 6'2" he's as light as my 155 lbs.

I don't understand the complaints about 154x15x3" BRP track or the Shredder in general "trenching", and this is coming from my other sled: a 165" Matryx Khaos with usually relatively stiff RTS to minimize transfer and lift. Maybe compared to a 165x16x3"" BRP track (that's old and relatively heavy, yes I had that on my 18 Summit 165 also) on a sled with RTS stiff and tight limiter strap? Maybe it's because I ride more maritime and intercontinental snowpack vs. continental sugar? Mine GETS SH!TE DONE WELL, and many Polaris riders are switching to this track right now. I am on Turbo though.

I love the new Freeride mint color but can see why some don't like it. As someone with a degree/career in art, design, marketing for the action sports industry, think BRP may just be a little ahead of the industry and some consumers' style / taste (age demographic?) with this color way. My only concern is that like more exotic colors, plastics will be a bit more expensive and harder to get/lack of inventory. I am willing to bet it will grow on some.

Floats are archaic, and offer horrible spring rate and adjustability same as coil over, compared to the torsion spring suspension.
I look at the new Freeide 146 as the mousetrap edition but it’s only a 2.5”.
Skidoo did a good thing with the 40’s all the way around on the freeride, but still use the pro 40’s and not the pro 40 R so the 34” front end cannot be used. The new Doo track lug design in a 15w is interesting but it’s purpose built and not a sled that interests me for the terrain and snow I ride in.
The freeride as always been known as the ugliest sled in the lineup, the 2023 was the nicest looking freeride yet, but my god, mint color? Wow why even bother, it’s a motorized piece of equipment, no one would chose that color if they had a option, doo does not offer options like Polaris does.

Unless there is some hidden surprise that has not been revealed like the removal of the quick change drive shaft, I do not feel the want to snowcheck from what I seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
I see the 24 freeride come the way I have my 23 expert set up . 36” front end with pro 40s
15” wide track without flex edge and fixed rear arm ?strange anyone would want this combo lol 24 free ride will be a heck of a sled right out of the box .

Unless the narrow the tunnel up for the narrower track I don't really see the advantage.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Archaic torsion springs need to go, across the whole deep snow lineup IMO. They work ok but seriously it's a 2024 sled now. 180hp, water injection, LED headlights, touch screen dash, and springs from... the biblical era? The again I drive a torsion bar Duramax for the drivetrain. I'll be converting to Floats.

Ordering a Freeride Turbo R to compliment my Shredder RE 154 TurboR. I am somewhat second guessing whether to keep my order 154" (probably) or get the 146 and have the option to put a 154" under it.

Does anyone think that on a Gen5 turbo there may be any noticeable loss of cooling efficiency running a 154 track on a 146 model (137 actual length) tunnel? Could enough chucked snow escape to noticeably reduce cooling efficiency and increase the likelihood of overheating? People riding behind you are another story...

Eliminating T-Mo and FlexEdge on the Freeride was a right move on the Freeride but would have liked to see it on other sleds. Seems like Doo basically looked at what the target Freeride market liked about the Shredder RE and copy and pasted the easy bolt on parts over to the Freeride. If I didn't already have a Shredder RE and want a similar but different sled that can be built lighter and with easier to buy OEM parts, I'd probably be ordering... a Shredder RE.

Freeride Spindles: IF they are the same as what comes on the Shredder RE, I swapped mine off my Shredder RE in favor of Ice Age Elevates. If the info I got was correct the Shredder spindles are shorter than Summit spindles at least were on 23 sleds. My Shredder understeered a lot on trail and obviously that's not a really big priority on this sled or why I switched spindles, but it's worth noting that the taller spindles second-benefit improve this from what I can tell due to increased ski pressure. The reason that matters the most is because the Shredder eats trail whoops so well it's a bummer to have to slow down just because it's understeering on flat turns. Surprising since shoprter spindles would seem more planted and lower CG but somehow that's definitely the case for me. Still dialing in the rest of the Shredder RE suspension to be optimized with the Elevate spindles but that's another topic.

Another reason I checked a Freeride is while I enjoyed the Lynx Blade DS skis in deep powder they are a chore to ride on crappier harder bumpy snow especially sidehilling. I just switched them to DS3s and like them better for this. Skis are not that expensive or hard to switch but I am not particularly interested in doing that on another expensive sled. Lynx said they never designed this sled for the NA markets so whatever no blame there, they are great for jumping and deep pow.

I broke a ski shock on my Shredder RE and Freeride parts are easier to get.

They were also unclear whether the Freeride REAR suspension was beefed up along with the front vs. '22, which I personally think it could benefit from for its intended purpose.. Back to back comparison riding vs. my Shredder RE the Freeride is a mushy squatty wheelie hoe that transfers like crazy even on full stiff spring preload and limited sucked max tight. Even then its a wheelie monster vs. Shredder RE on 3rd or 4th hole, tons of FTS spring preload and medium RTS shock. I'm unclear how the 23 Freeride is supposed to be a "big hit" sled stock wish such a soft rear suspension. My riding buddy with a 23 FR bottoms his out regularly on max preload as an avid jumper even on small jumps and even though he's 6'2" he's as light as my 155 lbs.

I don't understand the complaints about 154x15x3" BRP track or the Shredder in general "trenching", and this is coming from my other sled: a 165" Matryx Khaos with usually relatively stiff RTS to minimize transfer and lift. Maybe compared to a 165x16x3"" BRP track (that's old and relatively heavy, yes I had that on my 18 Summit 165 also) on a sled with RTS stiff and tight limiter strap? Maybe it's because I ride more maritime and intercontinental snowpack vs. continental sugar? Mine GETS SH!TE DONE WELL, and many Polaris riders are switching to this track right now. I am on Turbo though.

I love the new Freeride mint color but can see why some don't like it. As someone with a degree/career in art, design, marketing for the action sports industry, think BRP may just be a little ahead of the industry and some consumers' style / taste (age demographic?) with this color way. My only concern is that like more exotic colors, plastics will be a bit more expensive and harder to get/lack of inventory. I am willing to bet it will grow on some.
Cooling wise, the Gen 5 is impressive for what it is.

Didn’t really realize this until I rode my Poo slash on the trail. That sled gets hot fast.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
@Norona any specifics on the Freeride spindle? What is the geometry change and how is it supposed to benefit us?
it is more stood up so it eases the steering that the ds4 brings with it, i loved the 146 freeride easy to ride, not as easy as the summit x but close second. But i like the 34 front end. if the freeride had 34 front end it would be so sick, but jay and blaine are way faster than me hit stuff big and hard and that sled is designed for them not me.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Cooling wise, the Gen 5 is impressive for what it is.

Didn’t really realize this until I rode my Poo slash on the trail. That sled gets hot fast.
It wont cool as well that is for sure. Carl put a 165 under a 154 for shelly, i rode it, super rad but not good on trails for sure....in some areas where it snows all the time, malakwa, good others where trails in for a long while and spring conditions, bad

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I wish they would offer the Freeride in all black for the guys that don't like Easter Egg colors. If I bought the mint one I don't think I would stop getting teased from the time I left the truck til I got back and put the cover back on it.:cry:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
That didn’t take long to disappear off the site,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Correct
BRP REMOVED THE PAGE with the GPS UPDATE that we all got excited about last night..
f4c16430f918e26bb1c29783b7013670.jpg

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Guys, it could be worse... much worse.

2015-Ski-Doo-Freeride-154-Beauty.JPG

Funny how color is subjective... I think the 2024 Freeride is the best looking sled in the lineup. But honestly I would buy any color sled if it were the model I want. Who the fugg cares. It's not a fashion show up on the hill, and if it is you are riding for the wrong reasons, pretty boy. Maybe it's a boomer thing to have a fit about the color of your sled?

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
what specifically is the advantage of a 15" track" ? it's only a half inch narrower on either side. better maneuverability at the expense of some floatation?

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
it is more stood up so it eases the steering that the ds4 brings with it, i loved the 146 freeride easy to ride, not as easy as the summit x but close second. But i like the 34 front end. if the freeride had 34 front end it would be so sick, but jay and blaine are way faster than me hit stuff big and hard and that sled is designed for them not me.

Is that spindle similar to the expert spindle? Or is it better yet?

was1

Premium Member
Dec 10, 2007
The reason I ask is if you go on utube and look for the lynx video 2024 lynx xterrain re walk around , at the 3:17 mark the fellow is talking about the big screen saying u can track a friend. ??‍♂️

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
The reason I ask is if you go on utube and look for the lynx video 2024 lynx xterrain re walk around , at the 3:17 mark the fellow is talking about the big screen saying u can track a friend. ??‍♂️
You can track on the 2023... but you need to have your phone connected and have cell service.

Sounds like the 2024 will work out of cell service. Not sure if a phone will need to be connected.

Premium Features