• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Summit 850: Ratchet, Slap, Rocks and Carnage!!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Christopher,
Does the sled with the cracked bulk head have any front left suspension damage?

The tell tale that led us to the discovery of the broken bulkhead was that the two skis were NOT paralel to each other.

One was a couple inches further forward that the other.
A-Arms and Shocks appear to be undamaged, but the suspension is "tweaked".
I think I have a photo I can add of that.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Christopher,

Does the sled with the cracked bulk head have any front left suspension damage?

2da3971203ed4cb35a529da1a089b785.jpg

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
The xm and Xp were bad for this just bad design have put my share of nuns on and straightened a few. Was hoping for better results.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
If that is the case, then why do you suppose my son broke his Bulkhead?
I think Skidoo's bulkhead is sub par.
I agree ur son hit a large obstacle and it is definitely operators fault, machine was not designed for that impact however, i firmly believe if it was a polaris with the identical hit, it would have taken out the a-arm(s) and maybe the shock? But the bulkhead would be in good shape.

Now, a Cat would have taken a firm hold of that bolder with the powerclaw and made gravel out of it! :D

GS6

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
Hey Christopher the hole in the clutch cover looks like the Norona air circulation mod from a few weeks back. I could have saved drilling it with a hole saw....just push in the plastic, blip the throttle and voila. :face-icon-small-ton Hopefully this storm will cover that and other boulder fields on Jefferson....Such a fun mountain to ride!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Hey Christopher the hole in the clutch cover looks like the Norona air circulation mod from a few weeks back. I could have saved drilling it with a hole saw....just push in the plastic, blip the throttle and voila. :face-icon-small-ton Hopefully this storm will cover that and other boulder fields on Jefferson....Such a fun mountain to ride!

Brand new mod!!

H
Dec 15, 2014
My sled and my youngest son's sled both broke the chaincase from direct impact on the bottom.

His remained wet, mine drained out.

Both Tunnels are bent and have to be either replaced or straightened, and the jury is out as to whether they can be straightened or not yet..

His inner and outer chaincase have to be replaced.
My inner and outer and ALL internal parts have to be replaced.

My oldest son broke his Suspension Module, shattered a side panel and punched a hole in the inner clutch cover. We are not certain about suspension damage "Yet", will know soon, but his skis do not line up with each other so at the least the bulkhead is tweaked.

Christopher, being that i have the same damage, would you be able to update us on the repairs. Were the tunnels able to be repaired? What kind of costs and labour were incurred?

I looking at trying to find some kind of skid protection that protects the chaincase amd brake wells. The Ski Doo skid plate does not offer any protection. Maybe time to learn how to manufacture carbon fiber parts.

Thank you.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Christopher, being that i have the same damage, would you be able to update us on the repairs. Were the tunnels able to be repaired? What kind of costs and labour were incurred?

I looking at trying to find some kind of skid protection that protects the chaincase amd brake wells. The Ski Doo skid plate does not offer any protection. Maybe time to learn how to manufacture carbon fiber parts.

Thank you.
All three of my sleds are at Rexburg Motor Sports.
The parts for the first sled arrived end of last week.
I will check with them for an update tomorrow and let everyone know.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
With doo likely following this thread in particular, and the huge response it's had - consider starting a poll to provide doo more market perception feedback - something on the order of -

I'll consider buying a 2018 Gen 4 Summit if... Doo does nothing - Doo offers a proven kit/revised bulkhead - Doo fixes these under warranty - I would never buy now.

Just a thought - the OEMs are like politicians, focused on delivering marketing spin, surrounded by sycophants, victims of tunnel vision, including most of the mags who rely on them for their breakeven ad revenue. Clarifying statistics from large samples, stated simply, get more attention than long diatribes. Just a idea...

T
Dec 22, 2008
Wenatchee,WA
With doo likely following this thread in particular, and the huge response it's had - consider starting a poll to provide doo more market perception feedback - something on the order of -

I'll consider buying a 2018 Gen 4 Summit if... Doo does nothing - Doo offers a proven kit/revised bulkhead - Doo fixes these under warranty - I would never buy now.

Just a thought - the OEMs are like politicians, focused on delivering marketing spin, surrounded by sycophants, victims of tunnel vision, including most of the mags who rely on them for their breakeven ad revenue. Clarifying statistics from large samples, stated simply, get more attention than long diatribes. Just a idea...

I think this is being blown out of proportion, and I'm pretty sure I was the first person to break one. A better poll would be have you broke your bulk head 1 yes, 2 no, 3 I have not but I know some one who has.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Poll

I'd like to see this added to those poll

Have you broke a Polaris bulk head?
Have you broke a Arctic Cat bulk head?
Have you broke a Yamaha bulk head?
Have you broke a BRP bulk head?

Let's get real.
All these sleds are rode in the same areas and have all hit stumps rocks or what ever.
You don't see this big of a problem with all of them.
I've seen way to many XP's XM's and now G4's with broken bulk heads in some way shape or form with little or no suspensuon damage.

Last edited:
H
Dec 15, 2014

Let's get real.
All these sleds are rode in the same areas and have all hit stumps rocks or what ever.
I've seen way to many XP's XM's and now G4's with broken bulk heads in some way shape or form with little or no suspensuon damage.

My Arctic Cat M1100 took a direct hit from a large rock as i was riding between two trees. The stop was immediate from a speed of about 15mph. No damage to the sled other than bending the handlebar. I only wish my ribs would have fared as well!

DDECKER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2013
CRAIG COLORADO

Let's get real.
kind of lurking arnt ya!? that's like going to the axys forum and trying to take a poll on which brand has broken A arms
face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Premium Features