• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014 pro pistons

rags319

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2009
Cedar Rapids, Ia
I have a 2011 800 pro at dealer with a pto crank bearing being replaced under warranty. Pistons are loose also but Polaris wont cover it. Are the 2014 piston really updated or just different rings. Are they better than in 2011. They wont put aftermarket in for me. I could do it myself but they do have it all apart right now also. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Being a 2011 you probably have a few miles on it. So, with the engine down now, I'd replace the pistons even at my own expense.

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
the factory pistons are the best pistons you will get, put stock pistons in and replace them again when you get 2000 miles on them

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
14/15 pistons are different than 11's (not that you could even get 11 pistons now). They are better than the 11/12 OEMs. I like aftermarket Wosner's myself, but stock is better than they used to be, and I myself wouldn't have issues with OEMs now, just not what I'd prefer. I ran aftermarkets in an 11 for two seasons, and they looked great when I tore it apart to check, before I sold it.

FWIW, a good dealer will install aftermarket piston's if there is no warranty, and it's your nickels. It may not help you now, but something to consider when buying a sled in the future. Donuts and beer help make fast friends in service, too. Nothing wrong with bribery there. Good luck.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
How loose are they?

Assuming you have some miles on it if it were mine it wouldn't go back together with old pistons even if it was on my dime.

rags319

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2009
Cedar Rapids, Ia
How loose are they?

Assuming you have some miles on it if it were mine it wouldn't go back together with old pistons even if it was on my dime.
Yea. Just curious if Polaris ones are better than they were if I gota pay for them.
Sled had a lot of piston slap and vibration so I took y pipe off. I could move them back and forth with my finger quit a bit. Also could turn clutch back and forth slightly and hear a click noise each direction so I had dealer check it out. Still has warranty. They said bad pto side bearing. They would replace bearing but wouldn't replace the crank with the fugi one. So stuck with the mappe. Said pistons were close to out of spec but would not cover them. I call b.s. They should of replaced crank and pistons when a motor sounds like that. Not sure if dealer knows how to measure piston clearances. He wouldn't give me #s.
Sled has 1200 miles on.

Last edited:
R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
One thing to remember is piston cylinder clearance is measured at the piston skirt which is a quite a bit larger than the top of a piston (even a new piston in a correct size bore will have what seems like a lot of freeplay at the rings). Clicking while turning the clutch I think is pretty normal to an extent.

Yeah I would for sure call BS on the dealer if they cant give you some #s.

I haven't seen concrete proof the 14 pistons are different than the 11-13s other than different part #s which could mean anything. The biggest issue with my 13 was the rings (which are different for 14) not the pistons in 1300 miles. My bud has 2000+ abusive miles on a 14 and is still pulling the same clutching, something I couldn't do with my 13 after 7-800 miles.

I wouldn't be afraid of stock pistons anymore.

O
Dec 6, 2007
the factory pistons are the best pistons you will get, put stock pistons in and replace them again when you get 2000 miles on them

This is simply NOT TRUE.

Pistons that have been shown to be out of factory spec in 1000 miles of use or less, in hundreds of cases right here on the forum, are not the best you can get.

Are they better than they were in 2011? I suspect they may be. Will I be fitting Polaris pistons to my 1200 mile '13 this summer? Not on your life. There are better made pistons available for your sled. Piston and ring sets sell for about $400, I suspect that is less than OEM from the dealer.

rags319

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2009
Cedar Rapids, Ia
This is simply NOT TRUE.

Pistons that have been shown to be out of factory spec in 1000 miles of use or less, in hundreds of cases right here on the forum, are not the best you can get.

Are they better than they were in 2011? I suspect they may be. Will I be fitting Polaris pistons to my 1200 mile '13 this summer? Not on your life. There are better made pistons available for your sled. Piston and ring sets sell for about $400, I suspect that is less than OEM from the dealer.
I agree. oem Polaris ones are $414 at dealer. More than after market

tree-magnet

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
W. Washington
Do the rings start to flake apart, did you replace the just the rings or the complete pistons? I have 1650 miles on my 13 would you tear it down and look at it?

rags319

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2009
Cedar Rapids, Ia
Do the rings start to flake apart, did you replace the just the rings or the complete pistons? I have 1650 miles on my 13 would you tear it down and look at it?
Dealer didn't say if they were flaking or not. They said pistons were close to out off spec but would not cover them. B.S. I bought sled there new and has 1200 miles. Warranty covered pto and mag bearing and all labor so since it was apart I had piston replaced on my dime. Sled sounds same to me. Same piston slap vibrator. I hine sight I wish I would of had dealer put it back together and put RKT wossner pistons in myself. Especially since I noticed its leaking antifreeze now that I got it home. O Well.

So if you are going to keep it and dosnt have warranty I would tear it down and put RKT wossner pistons it. Wouldn't really care what old ones look like since they are proven to be junk.

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Anybody try aftermarket pistons that had an SLP stage 4 porting and head?

I was really excited to try a 13 with SLP stage 4 kit this past winter. The guy told me it added about 20 hp. I tried it and he tried my stock 14 with gearing and clutching. My sled walked on his, he was so shocked and so was I. I think SLP leaves so much on the table by recommending really fat numbers in order to protect from lean burn downs. I will not go down that road without trying one that actually impresses me first. I have owned SLP cans in the past and really liked fit and finish though.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
I was really excited to try a 13 with SLP stage 4 kit this past winter. The guy told me it added about 20 hp. I tried it and he tried my stock 14 with gearing and clutching. My sled walked on his, he was so shocked and so was I. I think SLP leaves so much on the table by recommending really fat numbers in order to protect from lean burn downs. I will not go down that road without trying one that actually impresses me first. I have owned SLP cans in the past and really liked fit and finish though.

My buds 14 with gearing and clutching is really impressive. It's the only mod I would do to a new Pro... We just laugh at the people that think they're underpowered.

800poodragon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, Montana

I have leaned down the fueling and it ha made a difference...need to leave enough in it to not have issues tho. Mine has SLP stage 4, it is a 12 so I put a belt drive on it and geared it down as well. Have had others ride it (some that have done just clutching and gearing only) and everybody is impressed with how well it runs. It had 700 miles on it when I put the stage 3 on it so I went ahead and put new pistons and rings in it at that time. Now has around 2300 so I am thinking I am looking at the top end again and am wondering if I should stick with stock (14 style) or go with something else. If I go with something else I am trying to possibly avoid a learning curve of a problem changes may cause.

Premium Features