• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

GPS help, how to transfer from google earth to mapsource or rino?

W
Jan 2, 2008
I can move waypoints, tracks etc from my Rino 530hcx to google earth no problem. I have google earth plus.

but how do I move info from google earth (waypoints, and tracklogs) to my Rino? Or mapsource?

I'm just trying to figure it all out, bit of a newb to the GPS mapmaking stuff.

W
Jan 2, 2008
another thing I was trying to do was get the highlighted trails the USFS puts out into my Rino, so I can make since of all the groomed trails running all over.

takes ahwile to learn a trail complex if you don't have a good guide, or know how to use your GPS to it's full potential!

C
Dec 6, 2005
Idaho
I dont play with google earth much, but I do download topo maps of all the areas that I ride into my rino 530. With a good topo map and a trail map, its real easy to see where you are.
Garmin has pretty much made it so that if you want maps you have to use their mapsource CD to get any maps that interface properly. But once you have the CD, you can add or remove maps as much as you want.

Good luck with it.

W
Jan 2, 2008
ya I'm fiding that I have mapsource up along with google earth and I'm just kinda following along with google earth to get a better view...

I've plugged in a few potantial "area 51" waypoints.

next time I'm up I'll head over to see if it's as cool as what it looked on google earth.

S
Nov 27, 2007
Longmont,CO
gps

a related point.....my 60 csx only works with mapsource but my old etrex summit will work with about any software...so I use it to convert the 60csx stuff for use with other non garmin software.....mostly routes and waypoints....I transfer from 60csx to mapsource then to the old etrex and then to whatever software(DeLorme for me)...or from noncompatable software to the old etrex then to mapsource then to 60csx

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Just picked up a Garmin 530HCX for $285 and want to know what software to buy for it?

See on ebay a guy is selling a 2GB card with western US TOPO for $30 delivered. Is this a good deal?

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
GPX is a "standard" or "universal" GPS format ("GPs eXchange"). What you'll want to do is export the route from google earth to a KML then run it through GPSBabel to convert it to a GPX, from there you can squirt it into the receiver itself.

As far as software goes, I have both the topo and City Navigator. CN is much better, way more up-to-date, includes useful POIs (Hotels, restaurants, gas stations), and the routing feature works a lot better. There's a surprising number of forest service roads in there, and they're all well labeled.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
GPX is a "standard" or "universal" GPS format ("GPs eXchange"). What you'll want to do is export the route from google earth to a KML then run it through GPSBabel to convert it to a GPX, from there you can squirt it into the receiver itself.

As far as software goes, I have both the topo and City Navigator. CN is much better, way more up-to-date, includes useful POIs (Hotels, restaurants, gas stations), and the routing feature works a lot better. There's a surprising number of forest service roads in there, and they're all well labeled.

Thank you !

I see they advertise there are snowmobile trail maps on Garmin Mapsource Topo ? Any good?

Are they latest version 8 for city and 3.02 for topo?

What is the best "resolution" 1:24k or 1:1000000 ?
I just talked to Garmin.

Told me the USA mapsource and City Navighator is okay .... BUT to use the TOPO 24K DVD which has both the topo and streets in it at a better resolution.

For the TOPO 24K West DVD CA,NV,OR,WA retails for $129.99 This allows you to use the "mapit" feature on the 530Hcx.

Has anyone used this software?

Last edited:
Premium Features