PDA

View Full Version : Question about out of state Sled Registration in WY??

Gone Sleddin
12-14-2007, 07:53 AM
If i come into wyoming and buy an out of state registration, do i have to have an up to date registration on that sled in my home state? or is the out of state sticker good enough to ride there?

batoutahell
12-14-2007, 08:00 AM
I cant find anyplace that says you have to have your sled registered in your home state.

I think you will be fine, Wyoming probably does not care if your state gets any money as long as they get theirs.

w8ing4snow
12-14-2007, 08:06 AM
I think you are suppose to. But I Have rode with people that have out of date Home state Regestration and have been checked and they only looked for the out of state sticker.

Cat Man II
12-14-2007, 08:30 AM
To play it safe get the sticker. Last weekend I picked one up for $25, they just asked my name an address. Last year stopped at a Pinedale gas station.

diggerdown
12-14-2007, 09:06 AM
You do not have to your home state reg. All they want is your trail money.

skibreeze
12-14-2007, 10:24 AM
I bought one last week, all they want is your money. They don't ask you any info on the sled at all. I didn't put it on my sled either as I was riding my backup. Honestly the system sucks as there is no check for proper ownership of the sleds.

built4dtuff
12-14-2007, 10:34 AM
WY is a little laxed on their recreational vehicles. I don't think they even title their toys. At least they didn't when I lived there.

Meatman
12-14-2007, 10:47 AM
don't be cheap...donate that dollar to search and escue!!! :beer;

Ollie
12-14-2007, 10:48 AM
I have a dumb question.
Why wouldn't you register your sled in your home state?
I don't really ride in colorado yet I register my sleds in colorado and join the local clubs in colorado. If for no other reason than to give the local State sled assoc. the extra numbers and cash when whey go to fight for our riding areas.

MountainPowder
12-14-2007, 12:22 PM
I have a dumb question.
I don't really ride in colorado yet I register my sleds in colorado and join the local clubs in colorado. If for no other reason than to give the local State sled assoc. the extra numbers and cash when whey go to fight for our riding areas.

Maybe he just hasn't registered in his state yet, no snow there?

AZ800
12-14-2007, 03:53 PM
I have a dumb question.

Maybee because my home state doesn't even register sleds. Neither NM or AZ have any sort of snomachine registration or trail stickers. I typically have CO and WY out of state trail permits every year though.
Oh, and out of state CO tags, CO doesn't care who you are or what you ride either. Just send them your $30, get a blank tag for the year that you write in your own info on.

Gone Sleddin
12-14-2007, 05:02 PM
it has been registered once, the 3 year registration expired in june. kinda hoping to get a different sled soon but hasnt happened yet and wanted to make a trip. didnt want to spend the money to reregister this one if i am going to get something else soon. oh and as for money going back to snowmobiling, come on over to jackson county minnesota and tell me how much money from registrations and joining the club is going back into this area...

Vertical Xtreme
12-14-2007, 05:12 PM
New sled soon? Don't do it man, I need something proven and reliable to tow my butt out of the backcountry after I blow the small bore up from too much juice!!

Gone Sleddin
12-14-2007, 06:17 PM
New sled soon? Don't do it man, I need something proven and reliable to tow my butt out of the backcountry after I blow the small bore up from too much juice!!

haha im only 178 miles from that magic number. this dinosaur is a time bomb;)

so we'll pick you up tomorrow then?

sno4ever
12-14-2007, 06:57 PM
I hear ya about S.W. Minn riding, nothing like riding in a marked ditch and calling it a trail! :D

Buy the WY trail permit and donate the extra $1.00 to search and rescue. I've been checked, and the Fish and Game guy said he checks to ensure the WY sticker was purchased. He didn't care that I didn't have MN reg.

I don't have my mountain machine licenesed either. What's the point, I don't ride it in Minn anyway. I have the short tracks licensed. Get this though, It's illegal for you to transport an unlicesed / out of date snowmobile in the state unless it's a collector or for race only applications. So when the PoPo stop and and rough you up, the them you use it for hill climbing events only. ;)

milehighassassin
12-14-2007, 07:40 PM
how does one buy an out of stae license? Can you get it at gas stations? What is the easiest way? I am planning on riding the snowies, I have no problem paying the required fee.

sno4ever
12-14-2007, 08:17 PM
how does one buy an out of stae license? Can you get it at gas stations? What is the easiest way? I am planning on riding the snowies, I have no problem paying the required fee.

I pick them up at the gas station. I-80 west bound exit 311. (snowy range road) Turn Left, under Interstate, 1st station on the right. I want to say its a Sinclair.

sledneck
12-14-2007, 08:26 PM
WY is a little laxed on their recreational vehicles. I don't think they even title their toys. At least they didn't when I lived there.

We still don't have to title our toys.

GangGreen
12-14-2007, 09:03 PM
Just try to title it in a state that has titles like i did in utah with an old Wy. registration. three or four months later it finally went through. What a pain. they need to have Certificate of ownership or somthing to make it easyer to title out of state.

SaberKitty
12-14-2007, 09:11 PM
Order WY Permits Online (http://www.usedirect.com/cdweb/)

golfsnownut
12-16-2007, 05:33 AM
I dont register my mountain sled with my home state of ND because I dont ride it here other than west in Wyo, MT and Idaho only so just buy their non resident permits where you ride out of state. I use my ND licensed short sled for flatriding or ditchbanging around here or east such as Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan.

ChickenTrax
12-16-2007, 08:42 AM
A buddy of mine picked up trial stickers for our whole group on his way through Laramie. They must not need a lot of info just money.

Albany Mountain
12-16-2007, 07:14 PM
Regarding the sinclair station, I would drive up one more block and buy it at the Fly Store, much more supportive, much more local folks and friendlier.

The State Trails really uses the money for trails and administration and focus on that. Later on maybe stolen sleds may be a problem and a point of focus, but neverless, ride in Wyoming, permit in Wyoming, and a win win combination.

I have always wondered by more web pages like this one does not have a vast registry of stolen steds and pictures.
I would think that this information would be of value among forum members in trying to get your sled back or more importantly, catching the ones who stole it.

Acting a bunch like winter
KL

WYO312
12-17-2007, 02:58 AM
I bought one last week, all they want is your money. They don't ask you any info on the sled at all. I didn't put it on my sled either as I was riding my backup. Honestly the system sucks as there is no check for proper ownership of the sleds.

To get a Wyoming Sled registration you have to fill out the slip which includes your sled make, model, and VIN number and pay a $25 fee. You can be cited for not displaying the registration sticker on your sled. Any Law enforcement Officer of USFS personnel in the State of Wyoming can check you for snowmobile registration and cite you for not having it or displaying it. The State of Wyoming does not care if your sled is registered in your home state. You can get your registration at any sled dealership and most gas stations through out the State.