• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Problem with starting next day

B
Jan 10, 2008
Have a 09 m10 that when u go to start it the recoil will separate your arm from your shoulder. It doesn't matter if it's freezing out or in the 20's. Sometimes u can walk the recoil out full length 4 or 5 times and it will start up and then its good for the day, drive home and u can't pull it over again. Anybody out there have this problem and found a solution?

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I have a buddy who couldn't start his CF1000 in the mornings and it was like you described. I had to start it for him as he's only 125lbs.

My 700 is brutal on cold mornings but it'll go eventually.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
So is the recoil catching and you can't pull the rope? Or does it just pull out without rolling the motor over.

I will assume the recoil is catching and you can't roll it over. I would grab the primary and give it a turn and see how it feels, it should turn over smoothly with resistance of course when your building compression, but it shouldn't be "locked" up. If it acting like it is locked you have internal issues and you should get ready for some motor work.

When you are turning on the clutch turn it back and fourth and just feel for looseness or clunk like a rod bearing, wrist pin bearings, etc.

If you are just pulling the rope and it isn't rolling the motor over it's your recoil, pull it off and clean, inspect, rebuild or replace.

Thunder

MT Backcountry

Lifetime Membership
Aug 29, 2008
Montana
how many miles

I had a problem with my m1000 after 3000 miles. I noticed it had got harder to start one day. I was going to do pistons as i do at 2500 to 3000 miles on all my sleds, and i pulled the exhaust valves out looked down in the cly. and noticed lots of carnage. It ran fine but broke off one of the piston skirts early in the season obviously and that was why it was hard to start cold mostly. Just an Idea for you to look into the exhaust valve holes to see the condition of your pistons. My 2 cents worth!:face-icon-small-hap

M
Dec 23, 2010
Just thinking about your starting problem. a while ago I broke a couple of pull cords. turned out it was the grommets where the cord passes through the plastic and out of the recoil at the bottom. You might want to check those.

B
Jan 10, 2008
The recoil isn't catching and it does turn the motor over but like I said u can't just pull the bugger it'll take your shoulder out. I spent an hour Saturday after returning from the hill trying to start it after no problems all day. I have a buddy with the same problem on his M10 some days it does it others it doesn't.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
The recoil isn't catching and it does turn the motor over but like I said u can't just pull the bugger it'll take your shoulder out. I spent an hour Saturday after returning from the hill trying to start it after no problems all day. I have a buddy with the same problem on his M10 some days it does it others it doesn't.

Dang it, this post is just as confusing as your first post.

is the damn thing catching and turning the motor EVERY time? If not replace the recoil starter assembly.

If it IS catching and the MOTOR will NOT spin over, check out the top end like others have said looking for piston damage.

Sorry but I just don't understand the problem here.

Thunder

:)

heynagel

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2009
My buddies 2012 proclimb does this usually when your first try to start it in the mornings. It seems VERY stiff, kinda like the motor is seized up, but if you pull slowly you can turn the motor over. It's not a recoil issue at all. It's like there's an extreme amount of pressure under the domes. 5-10 SLOW pulls and you can usually fire it up. It's totally stock by the way. Are these the same symptoms your dealing with?

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
Yep exactly, trying to figure out what causes it though. I thought somebody might have a solution to what causes it.

I know my sled pulls over very hard on the first start, and is much worse on cold days. What I have found is the type of oil I am running. I was running the Arctic Cat full synthetic, it is sticky has hell. Sled was super hard to start when cold. I switched to a different brand and it is much better.

What type of oil are you running?

The viscosity/sticktion of different oils at different temps can make a huge difference.

Thunder

heynagel

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2009
We haven't been able to figure out why the proclimb does it. It runs amsoil interceptor oil. We thought the motor was hydro locked with fuel or something because even the slow pulls are tough to pull through the motion. It's certainly not a tough guy thing like some dinks on the forum might think.

Premium Features