• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My review 2012 Polaris Assault vs 09 M1000

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
Just my opinion.

Had the chance to spend the last four days riding next to a 2012 Polaris Assault 800.
Just a few things I noticed compared to my 09 M1000. My M is Bone stock, clutching, etc. Only has a Super Q can installed.

1. The assault was very easy to transition to. The riding style was very close to my M1000. Much closer than the Skidoo XP.
2. The side hill balance point is much tighter than the M1000. To balance the sled on a side hill I had to work a bit harder to maintain the line. The M just kind of falls over and has a larger side hill sweet spot.
3. The Assault clutching was stock and engagement was pretty high. It really reminded me of the Skidoo XP clutching. Ran higher rpms to maintain speed. Was snappy but had to be over 5000rpm to keep moving. Also noticed the engine braking affect very similar to the XP but not nearly as aggressive.
4. The walker evens shocks are pretty sweet. The front end of the assault was impressive on the trail. Felt more like a motocross bike on the trail. Easy to preload and rebound was impressive.
5. The rear skid needs some adjustment. I much prefer the M series rear skid. The assault was soft enough but the rebound was out of adjustment. I think if it was my sled I would have to make some major shock/spring adjustments on the rear to get it right.
6. Not that it matters. But. In a drag race in about 8” of heavy powder the assault would pull hard and run next to the M until 45mph or so. Then the M would pull away and easily out run the assault. Don’t bash, but it kind of relates to track speed on the hill also.
7. The Polaris Assault turned easier on the trail then my M both with stock skis.
8. No storage on the Assault. Nice that Polaris tried to save some weight with the riser under the seat. But a storage compartment would be better used.
9. The handle bars on the assault were an inch or so too low for me to be comfortable standing. The M with the adjustable riser all the way up is perfect.
10. I like the ease of access to the RER reverse button on the Polaris. Easy to push with frozen gloves compared to the Cat button.
11. The tool kit that Polaris gives out with this sled SUCKS. Didn’t even include the tools to adjust belt deflection.
12. I also watched this sled get rolled over a least 10 times to get out of a stuck. And it always started and sure the windshield came off but didn’t break.

Overall I think Polaris has a great sled with the assault. I ride cat and depending on the 2013 Proclimb changes it could really make the decision tough.

I can say this sled will not climb with my M1000. At least 20-40 feet on every hill. But with some adjusting and such it could be closer. I also think the snow conditions favored the Assault track more than the Power Claw. Wasn't dry powder for sure. Pretty sping like in most areas.

Thunder

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
Not to rain on your parade, but you compaired a 1000cc motor to a 800cc motor.

Yea, but for the most part a good running 800 will run close to the old M1000 in stock form.

I was expecting it to be closer than it was.

As much as it hurts to say this. I know a good running XP800 will run right with a stock M1000. Up hill. Handling is a different story. But point and shoot not to far off.

Thunder

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
drill the holes and lower the skid on the assault..it will never run with any mountain sled with the skid in the jump holes(stock) by raaising the skid up an inch into the tunnel(rmk holes) you fix the attack angle on the track and the sled will perform in the deep stuff(although if it has the comp track on it, it will still not match up to a good powder sled)next set the suspension up for powder and not for jumping, soften all the springs ,especially the frt track shock....next narrow the skis as much as possible....not really a fair comparison no matter what..the assault just wasnt made for deep/steep stuff..it likes spring/hard and lots of air....

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
drill the holes and lower the skid on the assault..it will never run with any mountain sled with the skid in the jump holes(stock) by raaising the skid up an inch into the tunnel(rmk holes) you fix the attack angle on the track and the sled will perform in the deep stuff(although if it has the comp track on it, it will still not match up to a good powder sled)next set the suspension up for powder and not for jumping, soften all the springs ,especially the frt track shock....next narrow the skis as much as possible....not really a fair comparison no matter what..the assault just wasnt made for deep/steep stuff..it likes spring/hard and lots of air....

Thanks for this information. I will pass it along to my buddy with the assault. He is willing to try and make it work. and I would like to see it work better for him also.

Thunder

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Handlebars all the way up on the cat?? Handlebars too Low on the pro?? You must be just a point and shoot guy spend all day making horse shoes on the hill. That's not what the assault and pro rmk are all about. Get yourself an 1100t from cat and you'll be happy

Just my opinion.

Had the chance to spend the last four days riding next to a 2012 Polaris Assault 800.
Just a few things I noticed compared to my 09 M1000. My M is Bone stock, clutching, etc. Only has a Super Q can installed.

1. The assault was very easy to transition to. The riding style was very close to my M1000. Much closer than the Skidoo XP.
2. The side hill balance point is much tighter than the M1000. To balance the sled on a side hill I had to work a bit harder to maintain the line. The M just kind of falls over and has a larger side hill sweet spot.
3. The Assault clutching was stock and engagement was pretty high. It really reminded me of the Skidoo XP clutching. Ran higher rpms to maintain speed. Was snappy but had to be over 5000rpm to keep moving. Also noticed the engine braking affect very similar to the XP but not nearly as aggressive.
4. The walker evens shocks are pretty sweet. The front end of the assault was impressive on the trail. Felt more like a motocross bike on the trail. Easy to preload and rebound was impressive.
5. The rear skid needs some adjustment. I much prefer the M series rear skid. The assault was soft enough but the rebound was out of adjustment. I think if it was my sled I would have to make some major shock/spring adjustments on the rear to get it right.
6. Not that it matters. But. In a drag race in about 8” of heavy powder the assault would pull hard and run next to the M until 45mph or so. Then the M would pull away and easily out run the assault. Don’t bash, but it kind of relates to track speed on the hill also.
7. The Polaris Assault turned easier on the trail then my M both with stock skis.
8. No storage on the Assault. Nice that Polaris tried to save some weight with the riser under the seat. But a storage compartment would be better used.
9. The handle bars on the assault were an inch or so too low for me to be comfortable standing. The M with the adjustable riser all the way up is perfect.
10. I like the ease of access to the RER reverse button on the Polaris. Easy to push with frozen gloves compared to the Cat button.
11. The tool kit that Polaris gives out with this sled SUCKS. Didn’t even include the tools to adjust belt deflection.
12. I also watched this sled get rolled over a least 10 times to get out of a stuck. And it always started and sure the windshield came off but didn’t break.

Overall I think Polaris has a great sled with the assault. I ride cat and depending on the 2013 Proclimb changes it could really make the decision tough.

I can say this sled will not climb with my M1000. At least 20-40 feet on every hill. But with some adjusting and such it could be closer. I also think the snow conditions favored the Assault track more than the Power Claw. Wasn't dry powder for sure. Pretty sping like in most areas.

Thunder

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Is your M1000 a 162 or 153?

I have a stock 2009 M1000 162 in the stable. It will outclimb my 2012 Pro rmk 155, 2012 Proclimb 800 162, buddies 2012 HCR 800, and my 2010 kmod M8 162. Nothing touches the torque of the M1000 up here at high elevation. Just keeps chugging along. The 2012 Proclimb 800 162 climbs second highest on the hill. For technical boondocking the pro rmk wins with my 2010 M8 Kmod in second place. Proclimb and M1K tied for third. If you like point and shoot the proclimb is a great sled. It also destroys the bumped out trails in and out too. It does well in 90% of boondocking situations... But the pro rmk is a much better technical boondocking sled in the trees and such. I like the Cat motor much better than the Polaris motor. The Poo motor feels underpowered still IMO...and I owned a nightmare 2009 Dragon 800 a few years ago. Now only if Suzuki would contract with Polaris now that they are done with Cat...

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
CO 2.0 Now only if Suzuki would contract with Polaris now that they are done with Cat...

Man that would be something. Take that bulletproof engine and put that in the Pro.

Premium Features