PDA

View Full Version : Snow flap test?

Oregonsledder
11-29-2011, 09:10 AM
I have had my 12 PRO out 4 times far. The snow has varied from deep new snow to some extended trails with hard and soft pack. I have noticed the heating issue that has been discussed here many times. I have read that going to a solid longer snow flap helps on the harder packed trails. My question is this. Has any one put some duck tape over the stock flap holes and then watched to see any measurable difference? Im not one of those guys who just goes out and buys something just because someone says its the thing to do. Im thinking of trying this experiment to see if it really makes a noticeable difference. If anyone has tried this, please chime in.

MCIVER
11-29-2011, 09:48 AM
took my 2012 assault out for a break in ride this weekend. I didn't have any cooling problems even while running down the road (150 degrees was as high as I saw), but if I had to go any further on the hard pack I would have put my scratchers down.

however when I decided to nail a jump, the landing in powder forced the snow flap up hard enough to break the rear bumper into 2.

Pro-8250
11-29-2011, 10:54 AM
I believe the Assault has more cooling capacity than the PRO. After riding one season on the 2011 PRO RMK I can tell you this from my own experience. Use the factory ice scratchers on hard pack snow, they do the job! Here is a test I have done on a hard pack trail in MN,ID,MT many times over. After the sled is up to temp I will ride down the trail with the scratchers up for about two to three miles. The temp will get up to 180- 190 degrees real quick. I stop and put the scratchers down and continue down the trail and in one minute the temp drops about 40 degrees. A short time after that with the scratchers down my temp is a pretty steady 125 degrees. This has worked 100% of the time for me anyway. I have also read here on Snowest that the other snow flaps you are talking about do work, but I can't say that myself. I do like your experiment idea with the duck tape though. I am going to try that one. One more tid bit is we tried the cable scratchers.
I don't favor those.

t stone
11-29-2011, 11:24 AM
Larry, Stay off the trail. LOL

Oregonsledder
11-29-2011, 11:37 AM
Larry, Stay off the trail. LOL

Just following you! :face-icon-small-sho

Zrider
11-29-2011, 12:00 PM

I covered the holes on the stock flap on mine last year. It helps a little. Then I tested one of the prototype flaps that Matt at Proven Design Products sent out to a few folks to try out. That helped even more. My assessment was that the flap needed to be a little wider and a few inches longer. I still have snow kicking out underneath the flap.

If you go to their site www.provendesignproducts.com they have the standard flap(17" long) and the longer one(24" long). Personally, I feel that 20-21" would be long enough. If I do go for the longer one, I will cut it down.

Last Spring when things got real hard, I would stop and pack snow on top of the tunnel between my shovel bag and the back of the underseat bag. That helped with cooling. Even thought about rigging up a little tray and packing that with snow on the hardpack days. Even with the scratchers down, my Pro would still get hot, especially when speeds slow down. Just have to keep an eye on things

Bottom line, it would be nice to have a front cooler on these rigs, like I had on my '09 RMK. If it started to get warm, dropped the scratchers and it cooled down, even on the hardpack.

Oregonsledder
11-29-2011, 12:08 PM

I covered the holes on the stock flap on mine last year. It helps a little. Then I tested one of the prototype flaps that Matt at Proven Design Products sent out to a few folks to try out. That helped even more. My assessment was that the flap needed to be a little wider and a few inches longer. I still have snow kicking out underneath the flap.

If you go to their site www.provendesignproducts.com they have the standard flap(17" long) and the longer one(24" long). Personally, I feel that 20-21" would be long enough. If I do go for the longer one, I will cut it down.

Last Spring when things got real hard, I would stop and pack snow on top of the tunnel between my shovel bag and the back of the underseat bag. That helped with cooling. Even thought about rigging up a little tray and packing that with snow on the hardpack days. Even with the scratchers down, my Pro would still get hot, especially when speeds slow down. Just have to keep an eye on things

Bottom line, it would be nice to have a front cooler on these rigs, like I had on my '09 RMK. If it started to get warm, dropped the scratchers and it cooled down, even on the hardpack.

Hey Z, thanks for the input. Your info is supporting my thoughts on this issue. I may also end up with a different flap. Bring on the deep snow!!

tyb57
11-29-2011, 12:15 PM
to get even more cooling out of your scratchers try welding a washeror two at the end of the scratcher. Throws up alot more snow, thus, more cooling.

KAWGRN
11-29-2011, 03:30 PM
I put a powerclaw track under mine and flex scratchers on the skis and wheel kits like the rmk and the Pd longer flap, last year just couldnt keep mine below 180 during spring riding was tired of stopping all the time! I know the pc track throws a ton of chit so with the wider and longer flap that it will cure the prob, And yes I have been told its only me and I dont ride fast enough or Im not in the powder or etc etc BS!!! They just dont have enpugh cooling in some conditions ,,,and my turbo dragon NEVER runs hot under the same conditions ,nor does My M-8 ,,,I will see,,, but not till spring

2XM3
11-29-2011, 04:03 PM
Chucked the stocl flap and put a regular 09 dragon flap on it..works well. After riding with my friend and his 2011 rmk I really wish polaris would have put the front cooler on the pro as well..his stayed at 115-120 no matter what

KAWGRN
11-29-2011, 04:38 PM
to get even more cooling out of your scratchers try welding a washeror two at the end of the scratcher. Throws up alot more snow, thus, more cooling.

Im going out to do that tonight!!! Thanks for that idea!!!Between the PC and 4 scratchers NOOOO one will be able to ride behind Me!

HOTRODREDNECK
11-29-2011, 04:51 PM
Chucked the stocl flap and put a regular 09 dragon flap on it..works well. After riding with my friend and his 2011 rmk I really wish polaris would have put the front cooler on the pro as well..his stayed at 115-120 no matter what

you can get that .... just buy the standard rmk:face-icon-small-sho sorry i like the weight savings although i do have to search for more fresh snow to dive in:face-icon-small-ton

High Velocity
11-29-2011, 05:19 PM
Chucked the stocl flap and put a regular 09 dragon flap on it..works well.

Just did this on my '12 Pro.

Sent from my iPhone when I should be sledding.

jdtech65
11-29-2011, 07:19 PM
170 miles so far on mine and so far I've only seen it above 135 once. That was when I was going real slow. The rest of the time it was always between 125-135. Also when restarting it after sitting I never saw it drop below 95 degrees. If it did start to climb stratchers have worked for me so far. I do plan on swapping out my snowflap later in the season when the snow conditions change.

The one occassion the temp climbed up towards 150+ before I stopped and threw some snow on the tunnel. The snow was pretty decent but my speed was very slow. Heres why---
You can see in the pic I piled the snow on top of my tunnel pretty good to keep it cool.
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk267/jdtech65/3.jpg

barry1me
11-29-2011, 07:28 PM
170 miles so far on mine and so far I've only seen it above 135 once. That was when I was going real slow. The rest of the time it was always between 125-135. Also when restarting it after sitting I never saw it drop below 95 degrees. If it did start to climb stratchers have worked for me so far. I do plan on swapping out my snowflap later in the season when the snow conditions change.

The one occassion the temp climbed up towards 150+ before I stopped and threw some snow on the tunnel. The snow was pretty decent but my speed was very slow. Heres why---

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk267/jdtech65/3.jpg

How did your sled do towing another sled? Did you attach tow rope to rear bumper? Im sorta worried about hooking a tow rope up to the carbon fiber bumper as im afraid it might snap it.

jdtech65
11-29-2011, 07:44 PM
How did your sled do towing another sled? Did you attach tow rope to rear bumper? Im sorta worried about hooking a tow rope up to the carbon fiber bumper as im afraid it might snap it.

One sled wasn't able to pull the dead turbo 4 stroke sled up through the trees to get to the trail with the snow conditions so I hooked mine up to the other one to have two sleds to pull the dead one. First I will say that I had allready replaced the rear bumper with an Edgeworks rear bumper. I was a little worried at first so I ended up hooking the straps around the running board bars where they attach to the tunnel and then wrapped it around the bumper before tieing it to the spindles of the other sled. I did this on both sides. (the one rope came untied in the pic) I figured this way it would give it more support and help spread the load better. Didn't have any problems doing it this way.

glassman
11-29-2011, 10:42 PM
I though 4 strokers didnt break down? That picture is awesome, you should post it on the yamaha forums.

flying frenchman
11-29-2011, 10:51 PM
Looks more like he's pulling both sleds. lol. They say the Polaris is underpowered, yet it has enough torque to pull out two Yamahas.

jdtech65
11-29-2011, 11:01 PM
I though 4 strokers didnt break down? That picture is awesome, you should post it on the yamaha forums.

If you look close there is no track or suspension on it. Hit a sharp stump under full boost and stabbed the track and put a 6" bend into the rails. So we cut the track off and removed the suspension otherwise the first yahama wasn't able to turn at all with all the weight.

Looks more like he's pulling both sleds. lol. They say the Polaris is underpowered, yet it has enough torque to pull out two Yamahas.

We had to hook my sled to the first yahama to help get through the trees we were in. The snow was too soft that even with making a path it didn't get enough traction to keep from getting stuck with just 1 tow sled. So we hooked the pro to the first yahama and then we were able to work our way through the trees to the trail. So I was really only doing half the work but the pro is still up front. :D

gman086
11-30-2011, 02:04 AM

If you go to their site www.provendesignproducts.com (http://www.provendesignproducts.com) they have the standard flap(17" long) and the longer one(24" long). Personally, I feel that 20-21" would be long enough. If I do go for the longer one, I will cut it down.

THIS. I was a test rider for PDP too and couldn't have said it better myself. Something in between their short and long flaps would be ideal for the Pro but, all in all, more cooling is needed for crusty spring conditions.

Have FUN!

G MAN

2XM3
11-30-2011, 04:18 AM
[QUOTE=HOTRODREDNECK;2870568]you can get that .... just buy the standard rmk:face-icon-small-sho sorry i like the weight savings although i do have to search for more fresh snow to dive in:face-icon-small-ton[/QUOT

ya already have 2 pros tho...:face-icon-small-win

t stone
11-30-2011, 10:38 AM
Can someone tell me what the danger point on temp for these sleds. Mine stays at 125 most of the time but I can imagine in the spring or the trail it wont stay at that temp, even with the scratchers down. Thanks

Stone

Oregonsledder
11-30-2011, 10:51 AM
Can someone tell me what the danger point on temp for these sleds. Mine stays at 125 most of the time but I can imagine in the spring or the trail it wont stay at that temp, even with the scratchers down. Thanks

Stone

Troy I have hit 185 a time or two going too slow on hard pack ( I didn't have my scratchers down). The light didn't come on and it didn't go into the limp mode. I agree with you that in the spring on warmer days with crud snow even with the scratchers down, we may see some high temps. This is why I'm looking into the flap issue now, I don't want problems later. I'm also curious as to the temp limit.

Zrider
11-30-2011, 11:56 AM

Stone

Stone:

If you get near 190, you might want to shut her down. Happened to me a couple times last Spring messing around in the trees and also when getting up on the ridgetops when you can't haul *** and kick up any snow. Don't know at what temp it goes into limp mode. And yes, that's with the scratchers down. Early morning take offs in the Spring are a PITA until the snow softens up, then all is well. Just have to keep an eye on the temp gauge.

Outlaw525s
11-30-2011, 12:19 PM
Went out ridding in West Yellowstone on thanksgiving.... First of al it was FUN... nice Weather!!!... But we had 1 2011 Pro Rmk 155 and 2 2011 RMK Assaults.. Between the heat ratios on these... hardpack with the scratchers down the 2011 Pro got up to 160.. The 2011 RMK assaults were at 135-140 Both verry consistant on the hardpack snow... Now im just brain storming but i think the assault track throws up more snow on the hardpack compared to the pro rmk powder track... Now we also had a 2012 Pro Rmk and a 2012 Assault... ON and OFF the hardpacked trails they both stayed at a consistant 125 degrees....With the scrachers down.... we ride with the scrachers down all the time.... but i think the 12 models have a little better cooling system on them... I also noticed a little more power and some more snappyness... Just my 0.02! Cheers!!!

greasemonkey3406
12-01-2011, 04:22 AM
Installed the PDP snowflap on mine and now I dont have to use scratchers where I had to last year. Still have to watch the temps though, but with scratchers down, I have never had a problem.

GoBigParts
12-01-2011, 06:32 AM
Stone:

If you get near 190, you might want to shut her down. Happened to me a couple times last Spring messing around in the trees and also when getting up on the ridgetops when you can't haul *** and kick up any snow. Don't know at what temp it goes into limp mode. And yes, that's with the scratchers down. Early morning take offs in the Spring are a PITA until the snow softens up, then all is well. Just have to keep an eye on the temp gauge.

Is there a temp light? At what temp does it come on. Has anyone installed a aftermarket heat exchanger?

Snodawg
12-01-2011, 07:42 PM
FTX Motorsports sells an add-on cooler for the PRO

glassman
12-01-2011, 08:41 PM
Mine hit 205 and the light didnt come on. Almost sheit my pants and hit the fluff as soon as I could. Put the scratchers down and the temps dropped about 30 degrees.

gman086
12-02-2011, 12:01 AM
Goes into limp mode somewhere between 210 and 220.

Have FUN!

G MAN

Coleniuk
12-02-2011, 03:16 PM
What is the PRoper runnning temp on the pro? first ride of the season 2 weeks ago now in minmal snow in saskatchewan, the highest i hit was about 130 deg lowest being 120 ish?
Anyone know?

Sled is a 12' 800 Pro is that makes any difference compared to 11

HPJUNKIE
12-02-2011, 05:06 PM

I wonder if by deleting the cooler on the Pro, Polaris was trying to free up space and gain some track speed?

Reg2view
12-03-2011, 10:21 AM
I wonder if by deleting the cooler on the Pro, Polaris was trying to free up space and gain some track speed?

Simply weight. Same reason they reduced the size of the tunnel coolers. They were trying to meet a benchmark for the sled, and it worked. If ridden in good snow, or higher speed with scratchers, not an issue. It's when the conditions get sketchy, dry fluff, can't get enough speed that temps go up, quickly. JMPE.

Doc Phazer
12-05-2011, 03:08 PM
Simply weight. Same reason they reduced the size of the tunnel coolers. They were trying to meet a benchmark for the sled, and it worked. If ridden in good snow, or higher speed with scratchers, not an issue. It's when the conditions get sketchy, dry fluff, can't get enough speed that temps go up, quickly. JMPE.

I live in Jellystone. My 11 is tough to get below 150 in good snow, like we had all last yr. I had the engine "slow" due to heat before I kept the guage on. Just got it back from the dealer and he said the temps are normal?

Oregonsledder
12-05-2011, 03:47 PM
I live in Jellystone. My 11 is tough to get below 150 in good snow, like we had all last yr. I had the engine "slow" due to heat before I kept the guage on. Just got it back from the dealer and he said the temps are normal?

My 12 PRO 800 runs 127 to 131 in good snow at normal speeds. On hard pack (like last weekend) with the scratchers down and duck tape over my flap holes, I ran around 135, at normal speeds. If you slow down on hard snow the temp will quickly get to 150 or higher if you stay slow.

ChillyKen
12-05-2011, 06:42 PM
So the taped flap really didn't contain more snow in the tunnel?

High Velocity
12-05-2011, 08:15 PM
Good snow flap test today. My buddy's '12 163 Pro with the ported flap and scratchers down was running up to 173* on the groomed trail into Allen Creek. My '12 163 Pro has an IQ snow flap. Same trail with scratchers down, my sled never went above 127*. When we got to the cabin, there was almost no snow in his tunnel, while mine had a 2" layer of slush inside the tunnel.

mtnsledder
12-06-2011, 02:00 AM
That's pretty amazing.

I take it you guys were riding together (same day, time of day, etc,) when this happened?

2XM3
12-06-2011, 05:43 AM
Good snow flap test today. My buddy's '12 163 Pro with the ported flap and scratchers down was running up to 173* on the groomed trail into Allen Creek. My '12 163 Pro has an IQ snow flap. Same trail with scratchers down, my sled never went above 127*. When we got to the cabin, there was almost no snow in his tunnel, while mine had a 2" layer of slush inside the tunnel.

yeah, same thing I found out...if ya ride questionable snow a lot just do 2 things, put a iq flap on it and run the extra bogie wheels (just for hyfax wear)

High Velocity
12-06-2011, 07:57 AM
That's pretty amazing.

I take it you guys were riding together (same day, time of day, etc,) when this happened?

Yes we were.

Oregonsledder
12-06-2011, 08:23 AM
So the taped flap really didn't contain more snow in the tunnel?

Ken it may have, hard to say. This was the first day I rode the PRO on hardpack with the scratchers down, so I'm not sure of the impact of taping over the flap holes. It should have helped some at least.

pus1100
12-06-2011, 09:21 AM
the stock pro flap is not long enough.go for the long/wide flap from Proven design.

skierh2o
12-06-2011, 09:34 AM
Anyone have a quick pic of the IQ flap on the pro?
Thx.

2XM3
12-06-2011, 10:32 AM
i'll see if I can snag one later, rivits right into stock holes and the flap "slot" lines up perfect with the pro aluminium rear section, the mounting is a perfect fit on the pro chassis, looks great, just barely touches the stock pro bumper and curves out nice. Also available in black,red and grey..and if ur lucky dark blue and orange but they are quite rare.

tbeaton
12-06-2011, 10:36 AM
the iq flap is curled isn't it? i think when they are rounded like that they help to keep snow in the tunnel. in 10 i had a doo 600rs, had a huge race flap on it but because it was just straight it did not keep any snow in, just let it all go by it. i think the long flap from proven is just goign to do the same thing. i think the iq flap works because of the design and curve.

High Velocity
12-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Anyone have a quick pic of the IQ flap on the pro?
Thx.

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu91/MtnTech/Pro%20RMK/6fcef14d.jpg

tbeaton
12-06-2011, 10:50 AM

i think thats proof enough that the iq flap works.

mtnsledder
12-06-2011, 10:57 AM
Yea, I just swapped out the snow flap on our 2011 Pro with the one on our 08 D8.

Doesn't get much easier, just four 3/16" long pop rivets, everything lines up perfectly.

Didn't even have to take off the rear bumper to do it.

FatDogX
12-06-2011, 10:59 AM
I ended up adding a Proven Designs snow flap as well. Great product, great people to deal with and they'll do anything you want on your flap to make them different.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w253/InfernoFatDog/2012%20Assault/_DSC1131.jpg

tbeaton
12-06-2011, 11:05 AM
I ended up adding a Proven Designs snow flap as well. Great product, great people to deal with and they'll do anything you want on your flap to make them different.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w253/InfernoFatDog/2012%20Assault/_DSC1131.jpg

i like thier flap, would like to hear how it works.

gman086
12-06-2011, 02:19 PM
the iq flap is curled isn't it? i think when they are rounded like that they help to keep snow in the tunnel. in 10 i had a doo 600rs, had a huge race flap on it but because it was just straight it did not keep any snow in, just let it all go by it. i think the long flap from proven is just goign to do the same thing. i think the iq flap works because of the design and curve.

Interesting! What is the length of the IQ flap? Part no.?

Thanks,

G

High Velocity
12-06-2011, 03:03 PM
The IQ snowflap is pt# 5434954-070. The black rivets are 7621467.

dude
12-06-2011, 04:21 PM
http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu91/MtnTech/Pro%20RMK/6fcef14d.jpg

High Velocity,

Is that the 09+/- style cat 162" rear bumper? Can't tell from the photo? I put the cat 162" rear bumper on my 09 dragon to stiffen up the last couple feet of the tunnel and it worked great. Wanted to do the same thing to my PRO. I'm thinking the dragon flap and the cat 162" rear bumper on the PRO. Someday these manufacturer's might just get it all right. Until then it's a good thing we have a few manufacturer's to use their good ideas on one sled :-)

High Velocity
12-06-2011, 04:41 PM
dude, yes it is the 162 M-series bumper. I cut 7 1/2" off the bumper "arms". I didn't rivet it on. I installed four 1/4" rivet nuts on each side of the bumper and bolted it on from inside the tunnel.

tbeaton
12-06-2011, 05:13 PM
looking at proven designs, they have a bend in it so it stays more vertical, that could help to keep some snow in the tunnel. anyone have one and can comment on the cooling it may provide?

dude
12-15-2011, 11:37 AM
dude, yes it is the 162 M-series bumper. I cut 7 1/2" off the bumper "arms". I didn't rivet it on. I installed four 1/4" rivet nuts on each side of the bumper and bolted it on from inside the tunnel.

Sorry, don't mean to hyjack the post. real quick...I just put the cat 162" rear bumper on my PRO. I went ahead and rivited it on. Why did you cut 7.5"s off the arms? I would think you would want it going as far down the tunnel as possible.

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy209/polaris2006rmk900/12-14ride.jpg

Matte Murder
12-15-2011, 12:36 PM
Is there any downside to running the front wheels?

High Velocity
12-15-2011, 01:07 PM
Sorry, don't mean to hyjack the post. real quick...I just put the cat 162" rear bumper on my PRO. I went ahead and rivited it on. Why did you cut 7.5"s off the arms? I would think you would want it going as far down the tunnel as possible.

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy209/polaris2006rmk900/12-14ride.jpg

One of my buddies ordered the bumpers. I thought they were 162 bumpers, but I may be wrong. After cutting 7 1/2" off, they still touch the brackets on the tunnel by the end of the running boards and I even allowed an extra inch overhang at the rear. Hmmm, I wonder if you ended up with a Cat 153 bumper ?

gman086
12-15-2011, 05:05 PM
The IQ snowflap is pt# 5434954-070. The black rivets are 7621467.

Can you tell me how long the IQ flap is?

Thanks!

G

OnlyPolaris
12-15-2011, 10:23 PM
I have to pro rmk, running the standard pdp snow flap, all 6 bogie wheels and ice scracthers. never saw more then 125 on the freshly groomed trail last year. temp was pretty warm to. was around -5 celcius.

flying frenchman
12-15-2011, 10:54 PM
If you want the nicer IQ flap get the one from the 2005 900 rmk I think it's the one with with letters, they look much nicer.

flying frenchman
12-15-2011, 10:57 PM
The cat bumper is nice, but has anyone tested it to see if will bend upslowly or just snap off when you overdo a wheelie. It's nice to have a buffer zone so it don't tear your tunnel.

FCR112
12-15-2011, 11:00 PM
I can tell you from years of abusing the M's doing stupid wheelies trying to learn "re-entries" the cat bumper doesn't bend or break on an M. If you hit something with it the front end comes down. However... the whole tail light assy is another story:)

flying frenchman
12-15-2011, 11:02 PM
Thanks.

FCR112
12-15-2011, 11:35 PM
No Problem, just don't ask me to show you how to do a "re-entry" because I still haven't really figured it out...

08DRG700
12-16-2011, 10:29 AM
I ordered a IQ flap for my 2012 Pro. Hoping to keep some snow in there and cool it down bit. I run both the regular and cable scratchers when I have to be on a trail. I found the cable scratchers just don't bite good enough on harder packed snow.

gmustangt
12-16-2011, 11:01 AM
I dont know what you guys are paying for the iq flap??.. but for 50 bucks you can get a custom one from proven design products... Which has slightly better design.

tbeaton
12-16-2011, 11:54 AM
I dont know what you guys are paying for the iq flap??.. but for 50 bucks you can get a custom one from proven design products... Which has slightly better design.

i looked real quick an dfound the iq flaps for $65 or so. i ordered one from pdp. went with the long one, if we ever get any snow out here on the east coast i will report how it goes.

08DRG700
12-16-2011, 12:35 PM
$39.99 plus 10 for shipping

dude
12-16-2011, 05:23 PM
One of my buddies ordered the bumpers. I thought they were 162 bumpers, but I may be wrong. After cutting 7 1/2" off, they still touch the brackets on the tunnel by the end of the running boards and I even allowed an extra inch overhang at the rear. Hmmm, I wonder if you ended up with a Cat 153 bumper ?

Interesting. I know I asked for the Cat 162" bumper. Maybe they screwed up and gave me a 153"? Mine came about an inch or 2 from the brackets without cutting any off. I had some cracks starting on my 09 dragon tunnel so I put the cat bumper on and it has been great ever since. It REALLY stiffens up the back part of the tunnel. I understand if you stiffen something up it may just transfer the stress elsewhere, but after what happened to my 09 Dragon tunnel I'll go with the cat bumper and the strength. Plus, IMHO I don't know if I'd trust the carbon fiber bumper to tow out a sled...

sledfreak89
12-16-2011, 07:55 PM
Hey Guys.

Its great to hear our flap is working for you guys!

For those wondering what we did to the flap, we increased the attack angle 15 in order to allow the flap to direct more snow into the tunnel. A little trick with our flap is you can either mount it on the outside of the tunnel cap or on the inside. Mounting it on the outside like stock will put the angle out a little bit due to the little metal lip on the tunnel cap. Mounting our flap on the side keeps the flap on a flap surface and increases the attack angle of the flap even more to put more snow back into the tunnel.

Also guys, if anyone is thinking of ordering the long flap and wants it a certain length, we can cut it down for you before we print anything on them before hand, just shoot us an email before hand and we'll take care of ya!

-Matt

tbeaton
12-17-2011, 10:01 AM
Hey Guys.

For those wondering what we did to the flap, we increased the attack angle 15 in order to allow the flap to direct more snow into the tunnel. A little trick with our flap is you can either mount it on the outside of the tunnel cap or on the inside. Mounting it on the outside like stock will put the angle out a little bit due to the little metal lip on the tunnel cap. Mounting our flap on the side keeps the flap on a flap surface and increases the attack angle of the flap even more to put more snow back into the tunnel.

Also guys, if anyone is thinking of ordering the long flap and wants it a certain length, we can cut it down for you before we print anything on them before hand, just shoot us an email before hand and we'll take care of ya!

-Matt

i just ordered the long flap this week. so i can mount it on the inside of the tunnel?

sledfreak89
12-17-2011, 06:56 PM
Yes, you can mount both our standard Pro RMK flaps as well as our Pro RMK Long flap on the inside of the tunnel.

rmk2112
12-18-2011, 02:37 PM
Awesome looking product sledfreak89! The "Pro RMK" in red looks hawt!

what is the length of the Pro flap in the long version?

I want to nip this cooling issues in the bud before I start riding and IMO you Pro flap looks 100% better than stock out of the gate.

Just gotta decide on long or regular

sledfreak89
12-18-2011, 07:05 PM
Thanks!! We put a lot of thought and time into these flaps.

Our Pro RMK Long flaps are 24" long, and 17.25" wide in the body of the flap.

-Matt

Reg2view
12-18-2011, 10:28 PM
FWIW, I have the long on now, mounted on the outside, made some beveled spacers for it to float on the outside. Personal preference. You may end up cutting it, it will drag on hits, with a fox evol R in the rear skid. Very trimable. So far, so good.

rmk2112
12-18-2011, 10:43 PM

Is that mounted on the inside of the tunnel?
It seems to hang "down" instead of angled out like Ive seen.

glassman
12-20-2011, 09:42 PM
If you go with too long of a snow flap, will it get caught in the track when backing off a trailier? I have had to cut mine down on both my doos as well as my cat. Also, dont you want some snow evacuating out the back end and not balling up in the front of the drivers? You kinda need that happy medium or some type off snow flap prop once you are in the deeper snow.

tdblakes
12-20-2011, 10:16 PM
For those of you asking... this is the long flap from PDP mounted on the inside. I added the strap so it won't get sucked in the track in reverse. Wish it would snow so I could tell you what I run for temps...

http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae144/tdblakes/Sled2.jpg

glassman
12-22-2011, 05:36 PM
For those of you asking... this is the long flap from PDP mounted on the inside. I added the strap so it won't get sucked in the track in reverse. Wish it would snow so I could tell you what I run for temps...

http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae144/tdblakes/Sled2.jpg

That looks good, but I would be concerned about backing off a deck or trailer, getting the flap under the track and breaking that bumper. Might not happen, and the principal is good.

tdblakes
12-22-2011, 06:07 PM
That looks good, but I would be concerned about backing off a deck or trailer, getting the flap under the track and breaking that bumper. Might not happen, and the principal is good.

I kno I have the same concerns... the majority of the time I should be going forward, and if I'm backing up I'll have to try and remember... if it ends up breaking I'll report back :face-icon-small-coo

Bigrock33
12-27-2011, 07:57 PM
Hey Guys.

-Matt

PM sent as well as order - please reply to PM before full filling order. Thanks Matt

skidworth
12-28-2011, 04:19 PM
2012 Pro 163 rode 15 miles at 3 degrees air temp on ice and with the scratchers down never got higher than 127 the stock flap is just fine!