• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06' Summit 800 vs. 07' M8

T
Mar 18, 2009
My brother is looking to get a sled, and has found two that he is interested in. They are:

-2006 Ski Doo Summit 800 Adrenaline 151" with 2300 miles

-2007 Arctic Cat M8 162" with 2800 miles

Both are pretty much stock and seem to be well taken care of. They are also similar prices, the M8 $200 more. He hasn't been around sledding much, so he is not brand biased. I am more of an Arctic Cat guy, so I don't know much about the Skidoos.

I have read the 06' is the best year Rev. And the M8 is a great sled too. Any input? What's more reliable (of concern with the higher miles), better mountain sled, etc?

Thanks!

S
Nov 27, 2007
Livingston, MT
Just my .02, and I know plenty of people had good luck with 06 revs, but mine blew up a 1000 miles. I now have a 09 M8. Could have just been my luck because I ride with other's who have doo's and they have been great and haven't had any problems (and these are all 07 revs that havn't had issues, I know, very contradictory to the luck most have had with 07s and 08s). FWIW, I love my Cat.

T
Mar 18, 2009
I've had experience with M7's and M1000's. My other buddy has had some bad experience with the 07' Rev with the new motor. He has had some problems, but think he fixed the problems..(maybe).

Either way, I can't see going wrong if he gets an 06 Rev, 08 M8 or possibly M1000 Arctc Cat. Definitely different animals, but still a good sled if set up right. I have heard bad stories about the Skidoos and their "nuns", belt issues etc. Also heard the M1k weighs too much. Please enlighten me on what will be a decent, reliable sled for him..

Thanks, and sorry for the newby and broad questions!

Latitude 62

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 29, 2008
Summit Lake, Alaska
used sled.

I owned a 2006 Summit X 800 151, and it was a very good sled. The drive clutch is the weakness on this sled imo. When pressed hard it will require rebuilds much to quickly and expensively. Other than that, solid performer. Again, you would have to pushing very hard for extended periods of time to have the drive clutch issue.

The M7 is a great sled as well, I think it's weakness was the harsh ride in the rear skid. On the trail it will have a tendency to "buck". My brother has an 07 and loves it. The M sleds have a great reputation for handling in the powder and sidehilling ease. M8 was a testament to that as well. Couldn't really go wrong either way.

In this price range for a sled I wouldn't bypass looking at a 08,09 600 RMK for someone just getting into mountain riding either. My 2 cents.

hockeyb4

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Bozeman, MT
It all comes down to what you feel more comfortable with. The rev does have some weak spots one being the nun no doubt about it. and as for the motor it will need attention but as the old saying goes an ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure. If you take care of the clutches on the skidoo you will be fine. The down side to the cat is the diamond drive on that yr had some issues that can be spendy to address and the primary spider is not serviced by cat anymore so when the buttons wear out you are stuck trying to get it apart and risking breakage then trying to find a good used one. This may have changed not sure.
Both have there ups and downs I would find out as much as I could on the history, use and maintenance of both that would be the deciding point for me. both are great sleds and very capable in the mountains

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
06 rev was a very well set up (even clutched from doo) sled. talk to winterbrew about possable clutching upgrades. the motor should have new pistons. unless the riding has been done on the flats, even still its high for a 2stroke. the rev rides way nicer imo, especially with a shock upgrade. 06 rev will ride like a new pro:face-icon-small-win. put them side by side and you will see the similarities.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
06 rev will beat down an 07 m8 hard. 07 m8 had crap clutching and crap suspension that didn't transfer any weight to the rear....you'll have more fun on the rev IMO

06 rev was a very well set up (even clutched from doo) sled. talk to winterbrew about possable clutching upgrades. the motor should have new pistons. unless the riding has been done on the flats, even still its high for a 2stroke. the rev rides way nicer imo, especially with a shock upgrade. 06 rev will ride like a new pro:face-icon-small-win. put them side by side and you will see the similarities.

06 rev will beat down an 07 m8 hard. 07 m8 had crap clutching and crap suspension that didn't transfer any weight to the rear....you'll have more fun on the rev IMO

Listen to these two they both know there doos. I had a summit 1000 in 06 and my buddy bought a 06 summit 800 at the same time thats what made me go get a 800. The reason why I ask? Because of the power and how light and easy they are to handle. The M8 will not ride as good as a rev chassis and will be underpowered compared to the rev. Just do a preseason every fall to include clutch maintance and you will have a good sled to kick *** in the hills and still be able to go fast on the trail home.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
Get the Doo. I am a big Cat guy, but I have no love for the 07-08 M's. Now if you could find an 09 M8, that would be a different story. All around better sled and with a SLP pipe setup will put the hurt on a Doo.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
The 07 M8 will keep up with all of the 600's and even beat some of them climbing. I luv my 09 M8 but I wouldn't buy an 07, I would rather have an M7. I had an 06 summit 800 and it will out climb the 07 M8 and get better fuel mileage doing it, it also rides really nice on the trail( I miss that on the ride back to the truck) but the nun is extreamly weak. It is the only sled I have wreaked and could not fix. The insurance took it from me when it was only 4months old. But I would still rather have it back than an 07 M8. But I wouldn't trade my 09 M8 for anything out there right now. From my expieriance the only thing the 07 M8 was good at was melting everything under the hood.

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
The suspension, tunnel/running boards, track, diamond drive, clutching, ecm, the gauge(has leaking issues). Mod for mod the 07 will never keep up with the 09. Ask RKT he will tell u the same. My buddy tried to get his 07 162 with a power claw to keep up with my stock 09 153 and not even close. U will spend $1,000's to try and get an 07 to keep up to an 09. The 07 is a trencher in the trees even with a 162 powerclaw and the geo-mod. This is my real life expieriance. I'm not trying to bash, but save somebody else from a disapointing sled. The 07 m8 is still a good dependable sled (minus the diamond drive) but if u compare it to an 09 or newer it will disapoint u.

M

MAC29

Dec 9, 2007
eatonville,wa
My buddy tried to get his 07 162 with a power claw to keep up with my stock 09 153 and not even close. U will spend $1,000's to try and get an 07 to keep up to an 09.

Could not be more further from the truth.

S
Sep 16, 2010
I don't think there are any red flags for either the 06 rev or the 07 M8. Either would be a decent used pick for a new rider. These two sleds will ride completely different though, totally different chassis.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
How is an 07 any different than an 09?

Nothing you cant do to the 07 to make it identical. If its only complaints are about the rear skid and how it soaks bumps....big deal. How weak are your legs??

It's not just that....it just doesn't transfer any weight....therefore it spins and doesn't go anywhere. That also makes it not very fun to ride as its hard to get the front end up over anything.

Pol600

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
A friend that I ride with every year out West has an 07' M8. It was really weak the first year. In a long, steep climb with our 04' 700 RMK, he got me by 1/2 sled right away but by 1/3 of the way up, I pulled ahead of him. In a drag race on the trail, he wasn't even close to me. In all fairness, the Cats aren't geared to run high speeds. The M8 has 5000 miles on it and has had no mechanical issues to date.

The M8 is EFI and the Ski-Doo is likely carbed so the M8 will have an advantage in calibration. The Ski-Doo would definitely have more power.

If the person likes the rider forward style, the ski-doo might be the better choice. If he is more of a traditional-style rider, the cat would probably be a better choice.

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
The 07 M8 will keep up with all of the 600's and even beat some of them climbing.

That's funny and sad at the same time. Never rode a sled that felt more dissapointing. They can be made to work, but I would never consider one unless planning to turbo. M7 or '09 and newer M8 if going for the Cat. Can't go wrong w/ the Rev.

harf69

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I've got 3000 boosted miles on my diamond drive

Premium Features