• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New GR NGK spark plugs for the 12 PRO RMK 800

O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
MH asked me to start this thread concerning the new (not available yet) spark plug. He knows I have a camera and older sleds as well as the new 12 PRO.

Here are the pictures, I can't see any difference but I know that doesn't mean anything with spark plugs. Below are side by side pics of the older standard NGK BPR9ES, and the new NGK GR9A-EG.

I have not been able to find any technical data on the differences, except that the plug is considered a racing plug. Here ya go MH, I suspect you know something about these spark plugs.

002.jpg 012.jpg 014.jpg 015.jpg 019.jpg

Last edited:

NapaMatt

Matryx 850 Pow Slayer!
Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2009
Stewartville, MN
www.napaonline.com
The newest plug... What their trying to do to kick down.. any come backs...

So Less Fouling plugs in the first 200 miles.. mean less Comebacks.. which it turn means more sled sold!

The GR9A-EG Has a Copper Core... to battle fouling better..

My .02

Last year with my Pro... the Champions.. were running the best... RN57YCC..

which does have a copper core!.. CC

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
Here's what I can figure out from NGK's site when I break the pt #'s down:

B - 14 mm threads
P - Projected insulator
R - Resistor
9 - Heat range
E - Thread reach (3/4")
S - Standard 2.5 mm electrode
----------------------------------------------------------------
G - Metal shell size - 14 mm threads, 3/4" thread reach, 13/16" hex
R - Resistor
9 - Heat range
A - Firing end construction (special design)
-
E - 3/4" thread reach
G - Fine wire nickel alloy electrode (Although, from looking at the pics, it doesn't appear "fine". The copper is listed as "G-G")

From what I can see, the plugs are the same heat range and physical size. The only differences appear to be the firing end construction and nickel alloy electrode.

Last edited:
O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
Here's what I can figure out from NGK's site when I break the pt #'s down:

B - 14 mm threads
P - Projected insulator
R - Resistor
9 - Heat range
E - Thread reach (3/4")
S - Standard 2.5 mm electrode
----------------------------------------------------------------
G - Metal shell size - 14 mm threads, 3/4" thread reach, 13/16" hex
R - Resistor
9 - Heat range
A - Firing end construction (special design)
-
E - 3/4" thread reach
G - Fine wire nickel alloy electrode (Although, from looking at the pics, it doesn't appear "fine". The copper is listed as "G-G")

From what I can see, the plugs are the same heat range and physical size. The only differences appear to be the firing end construction and nickel alloy electrode.

That's the way it looks to me too.

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
Hey OS, thanks for the pics. I need to pick up plugs for this year yet, so I'm trying to find out info. To my mock 1 mod 0 eyeball the new plug looks just a hair longer . . . but as hard as it to believe I've been wrong before!

Thanks.

Bag

O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
Hey OS, thanks for the pics. I need to pick up plugs for this year yet, so I'm trying to find out info. To my mock 1 mod 0 eyeball the new plug looks just a hair longer . . . but as hard as it to believe I've been wrong before!

Thanks.

Bag

Nope unless my eyes are completly gone. I placed them side by each and they were the same length.

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
I've been in contact with NGK corporate... this plug is BRAND NEW and an OEM offering .

The standard NGK nomenclature does not apply to this one.

mh, I don't question that NGK told you that, but what I was able to find on their site and looking at the above pics, I believe what I posted is fairly accurate. It seems like the Champion RN57YCC all over again. When they first appeared in the early part of the decade, (I had an '01 800 RMK) they were a proprietary plug as well. I even got told by my dealer at the time that if I ran anything but that plug, engine damage would occur. Ya, right !! As long as heat range, reach, and thread size were the same I wasn't worried. Some choices I had to make in an emergency may had affected running quality a little, but they never damaged the engine. No cross-over available for a set amount of time, then all of a sudden another manuf. has an existing plug that'll work. What's your thoughts ? A licensing or patent thing ?
I'm not going to go so far as to tell others they can use the BPR9ES in their '12's, but once I confirm that there have been no drastic engine changes from the '11 800 to '12 800, I personally would not hesitate to go to the BPR9EIX iridium plugs. Ran those in my '06 900 and they worked and lasted awesome.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Polaris said that the new one is more resistant to fouling than the BPR (they did not mention the RN in that statement) and the BPR and RN can be used as a sub in a pinch.

I've run the EIX's as well... they lasted a long time... not any kind of "bolt on power" for me though... Least expensive I've found thee BPR9-EIX plug is $7.50 each.
From what I've heard, they are beneficial in turbo and high compression sled motors though.

I had great luck with the RN57YCC plug... Not a big fan of Champion... but that one never let me down.

I think you might be onto something that this new plug is an NGK version of the RN.

The "Fine nickel alloy" refers to the electrode having fine nickel particles in the alloy... I originally read it the same as you (I think)...to be a fine-gauge wire... not the case.

Keep the good info flowing!!

Last edited:
O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
I just picked up two of these new plugs at the Bend Or Polaris dealer. They come in a Pure Polaris little bag, not the normal NGK box.

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
Curious as to the cost of the new plug from Polaris?

My guess is that Polaris is having NGK build them their own OEM plug so they can make more margin?

K
Sep 16, 2011
what is the deal with ONLY the MY12 sleds having these GR plugs spec'd?

the 2012s are the same engine, while the 13s are a bit different.

Anyone know the real story here?

Premium Features