PDA

View Full Version : Boondocker Pro RMK Turbo Kit

savedbygrace
11-16-2010, 04:34 PM
These are amazing turbo sleds!

Boondocker has been putting miles our production turbo Pro’s for several weeks now, so when your turbo ships the tuning will be done. The new Pro RMK turbo kits will be released, and current orders will be shipped December 1st -4th. The intercooler upgrade for the Pro will be released at a later date, and an exchange program will be available to anyone with a non intercooled Boondocker Pro turbo air box.

Boondocker refuses to deliver an inferior product, and will deliver tested proven parts, so that you can have confidence that you Boondocker turbo will perform.

I would like to answer questions anyone might have about this new turbo sled.

Junior

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll213/mountainar15/DSC_0153.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll213/mountainar15/DSC_0155.jpg

Iceman56
11-16-2010, 07:21 PM
How much boost/power you expecting to run?? Pump gas? Race?

aus091
11-16-2010, 08:13 PM
Did you guys stick with stock injection system or did you add injectors?

savedbygrace
11-17-2010, 09:56 AM
How much boost/power you expecting to run?? Pump gas? Race?

Did you guys stick with stock injection system or did you add injectors?

4-6 psi of boost is usually your pump gas range. Non intercooled 6-8 psi is great if you want to run a little higher octane. Of course this varies according to the elevation you are riding. Above 8 psi is where an intercooler really starts to shine.

Auxiliary injectors will be available with the intercooler upgrade, but the Boondocker Control Box can run the stock injectors up to 12 psi of boost.

Junior

Trenchmaster
11-17-2010, 10:02 AM
Will that exhaust pipe outlet burn the toe of my boot?

fourthmeal
11-17-2010, 01:23 PM
Will that exhaust pipe outlet burn the toe of my boot?

There's a shield there that you can't see because the told hold loop is blocking it.

longgold
11-17-2010, 02:27 PM
I kinda use my toe hole loops..a lot in fact...actually...off topic, is there anyone making deeper toe sockets for the Rush? I'm a 13 and im not loving the depth.

As for the Boondocker exhaust running through there...its my toes I use to hang on when I am ripping...

pura vida
11-17-2010, 04:16 PM
how about a low elevation version? 0-4000 feet? any reason there would be other issues at low elevation? they are? what power increase are you looking at for a pump gas version? av gas? race gas?

pv

pura vida
11-18-2010, 03:09 PM
bump

anyone? this got pushed to the second page so i thought i push it back up see if anyone in the know had an answer. for that matter, does anyone have much info, experience with turbos at low elevation?

pv

Ken Climb
11-18-2010, 03:29 PM
Whats wrong with the stock exhaust hole exit?

Arcteryx
11-19-2010, 06:50 AM
I kinda use my toe hole loops..a lot in fact...actually...off topic, is there anyone making deeper toe sockets for the Rush? I'm a 13 and im not loving the depth.

As for the Boondocker exhaust running through there...its my toes I use to hang on when I am ripping...

X3^^^^ Want to know if the exhaust pipe is in the way of the toe hole loops. I use mine a lot too.

SAVED BY GRACE OR JUNIOR could you answer this question please??? Does the pipe and or shield block off the toe loop??

savedbygrace
11-19-2010, 08:08 AM

Whats wrong with the stock exhaust hole exit?

The exhaust pipe does not in any way hinder you when hanging on with your toes. In fact you do not even know itís there when you are riding.

The reason Boondocker turbos exhaust in this spot is because this area never fills with snow. Turbos move so much air on both intake and exhaust that even the slightest obstruction at either end has immediate detrimental effects on engine performance. This means that if you were to exhaust your turbo out the stock location, and make a hard right turn in deep snow, your sled will likely put you over the handlebars. Boondocker turbos run in deep snow because we exhaust inside the track area, (which by the way is patent pending) and we intake under the hood, the only two areas on the entire snowmobile that do not ever fill with snow.

Junior

drinkwyo
11-19-2010, 08:42 AM
The exhaust pipe does not in any way hinder you when hanging on with your toes. In fact you do not even know itís there when you are riding.

The reason Boondocker turbos exhaust in this spot is because this area never fills with snow. Turbos move so much air on both intake and exhaust that even the slightest obstruction at either end has immediate detrimental effects on engine performance. This means that if you were to exhaust your turbo out the stock location, and make a hard right turn in deep snow, your sled will likely put you over the handlebars. Boondocker turbos run in deep snow because we exhaust inside the track area, (which by the way is patent pending) and we intake under the hood, the only two areas on the entire snowmobile that do not ever fill with snow.

Junior

so you are trying to say that your tunnel dump exhaust is pending a patent? Are you serious?

savedbygrace
11-19-2010, 08:46 AM
how about a low elevation version? 0-4000 feet? any reason there would be other issues at low elevation? they are? what power increase are you looking at for a pump gas version? av gas? race gas?

pv

We are currently testing these sleds at 6000 ft. and above. As soon as there is snow below 5000 ft we will be there testing.

Typically turbo sleds at elevations of 0-4000 ft. straight up rip, but may need to run a little less compression or a little higher octane fuel.

Junior

savedbygrace
11-19-2010, 09:00 AM
so you are trying to say that your tunnel dump exhaust is pending a patent? Are you serious?

Thatís right.

This actually published a couple of months ago.

Anthony Oberti
11-19-2010, 09:02 AM
How's it coming with higer boost applications?....say 12-14lbs.....

drinkwyo
11-19-2010, 10:29 PM
Thatís right.

This actually published a couple of months ago.

So does this mean that anybody caught with a NON-BD built tunnel dump on there sled could be prosecuted to the fullest extent by BD? :face-icon-small-win

barry1me
11-20-2010, 11:24 AM
what kind of HP are we looking at with the Intercooled and non intercooled kits?

Nice work:face-icon-small-hap

TurboDragon800
11-20-2010, 02:19 PM
So does this mean that anybody caught with a NON-BD built tunnel dump on there sled could be prosecuted to the fullest extent by BD? :face-icon-small-win

Thats right BD decided that they had nothing else better to do and would go around looking at hundreds of sled to see who had tunnel dumps. They felt it would be best for there company to try and piss off as many people as possible, because they are so tired of selling turbo Kits. You got to love the internet they let any DUMB A$$ post what ever they want.

Sxrlar
11-20-2010, 02:26 PM
Thats right BD decided that they had nothing else better to do and would go around looking at hundreds of sled to see who had tunnel dumps. They felt it would be best for there company to try and piss off as many people as possible, because they are so tired of selling turbo Kits. You got to love the internet they let any DUMB A$$ post what ever they want.

Yep, your first post on this site proved that eh?

Arcteryx
11-20-2010, 04:05 PM
Thanks to Boondocker for posting the information and answering out questions. I have heard a lot of talk about turbo kits and have seen a lot of pictures of installs this year, but Boondocker's is the first to give out solid information and to post pictures and video to boot.
It's nice to actually see the kit running and get concrete information on boost levels, ship dates, etc.

drinkwyo
11-20-2010, 07:34 PM

hahahahahaha, Nice 1st post. I wont call you any names as you have already proven what you are. My question was not to stir the pot. It is legit. Their are many turbo companies that run the exhaust into the tunnel the exact same way. So do all of these "other" turbo builders change what they do? I just find it odd to patent something that has been around for so long and that so many people are doing. If BD was the one & only company using it then I could see it, but they are not.

mountainhorse
11-20-2010, 11:33 PM
Junior,

Thank you for taking the time to fill in our readers on your developments...

It's great to see manufacturers step up and support their products on the forums here.

Arcteryx
11-20-2010, 11:35 PM
Junior,

Thank you for taking the time to fill in our readers on your developments...

It's great to see manufacturers step up and support their products on the forums here.

Again X2^^^ or maybe that makes it X3, but thank you and keep the info coming!!

savedbygrace
11-22-2010, 03:18 PM
How's it coming with higer boost applications?....say 12-14lbs.....

The higher boost tuning is going great, boost ranges like 10-14 psi will be best accommodated with the upcoming intercooler/fuel system upgrade. Although the Boondocker control box can drive the stock injectors to these kinds of levels, the optimal tune will come with the upgrades.

HaÖ No we donít have any intentions of trying to go after consumers. However there would not be much use in having a patent, if you could not use it to keep your competitors from using your design.

Junior

F-Bomb
11-22-2010, 05:46 PM
will it or will it not? Inquiring minds want to know....competitors want to know!
http://www.wmishops.com/magento/media/catalog/product/cache/25/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/i/site_sled_1_1.jpg
http://www.wmishops.com/magento/media/catalog/product/cache/25/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/i/site_sled_2.jpg
http://www.wmishops.com/magento/media/catalog/product/cache/25/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/i/site_sled_4.jpg

mod03rmk800
11-22-2010, 06:09 PM
will it or will it not? Inquiring minds want to know....competitors want to know!
http://www.wmishops.com/magento/media/catalog/product/cache/25/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/i/site_sled_1_1.jpg
http://www.wmishops.com/magento/media/catalog/product/cache/25/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/i/site_sled_2.jpg
http://www.wmishops.com/magento/media/catalog/product/cache/25/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/i/site_sled_4.jpg

Heck, just run a 860 kit and post up claims and videos of it racing 200 ft up hard pack hills claiming it runs right with a pump gas kit. Of course I may be confusing with Kelsey. :face-icon-small-coolol

F-Bomb
11-22-2010, 06:46 PM
Yea lol :face-icon-small-dis ..a fan eh:first:

pura vida
11-22-2010, 08:07 PM
well at least rob isn't advertising again in another post...

sick looking sled though.

pv

Anthony Oberti
11-23-2010, 10:40 AM
The higher boost tuning is going great, boost ranges like 10-14 psi will be best accommodated with the upcoming intercooler/fuel system upgrade. Although the Boondocker control box can drive the stock injectors to these kinds of levels, the optimal tune will come with the upgrades.

Junior

When will that be ready?

Kestrel2126
11-23-2010, 01:41 PM
When will that be ready?

X2. very interested!

TIM
11-23-2010, 01:57 PM
the tunnel dump does not interfere with your foot placement at all. you don't even know it is there. No hot feet either.

hobbes
11-23-2010, 02:42 PM
the tunnel dump does not interfere with your foot placement at all. you don't even know it is there. No hot feet either.

BUSTED!! See you over NY's buddy!

Arcteryx
11-23-2010, 03:07 PM
When will that be ready?

X3^^^^

mountainhorse
11-23-2010, 03:35 PM
The new Pro RMK turbo kits will be released, and current orders will be shipped December 1st -4th....

Scott
11-23-2010, 03:38 PM
Can't wait to see more vids of the T-Pros.

Scott
11-23-2010, 03:38 PM
Can't wait to see more vids of the T-Pros.

Kestrel2126
11-23-2010, 04:27 PM
The new Pro RMK turbo kits will be released, and current orders will be shipped December 1st -4th.

But when are the minicooler w/extra injector setups expected to be released?

Arcteryx
11-23-2010, 06:13 PM
But when are the minicooler w/extra injector setups expected to be released?
[/SIZE]

x4 or maybe X3.2^^^^^^^

mountainhorse
11-23-2010, 07:13 PM
At a later date... with exchange/credit for the non intercooled stuff... just to get you going.

My guess... mid Jan-Feb.

But what do I know.

MH

SNOW JW
11-23-2010, 11:59 PM
Boondocker wants as much testing as possible to make sure the system gets the coldest temps as possible Jarred and Rocky were out on the snow again today. As far as a set in stone date on them I don't think there is one as they will have to be perfect before they get shipped out.

The nice part is you can get the system without the intercooler and swap out for the intercooler for the reduced price.

Kestrel2126
11-24-2010, 11:25 AM
The nice part is you can get the system without the intercooler and swap out for the intercooler for the reduced price.

Ahhhh, thats like taking out a golf cart, and NOT sticking a tee in the governor! LOL. Can't wait to see how this sled performs at high boost. I think its going to be sweet. Guess I'll just have to wait, like everyone else

Kestrel2126
11-29-2010, 11:49 AM
I am curious as to the specifics of the forthcoming "race gas" intercooler upgrade. Since additional injectors are going to be added, are they going to be placed in a replacement throttle body "boot"?, or somewhere else. I like the idea of a billet TB boot, as my BD D7, separated several of the stock rubber boots. Just curious how and where these injectors are going to be added, and if the stock boots are still going to be used.

savedbygrace
12-06-2010, 06:45 PM
Boondocker has been testing with auxiliary injectors for a few weeks now, and decided to include an auxiliary injector in the standard pump gas turbo kit. This enhancement makes the Turbo Pro tune a bit easier, and gives the ability to run higher boost levels. We have done extensive testing to determine the appropriate location for this auxiliary injector, which is placed in the air box. Modifications have been made to the production parts to accommodate the extra injector, clutching is done, the final tune is being perfected today and tomorrow, parts are going into boxes, and the first production kits will ship on Wed. Dec. 8.

If you have any questions please ask.

Thanks,
Junior

mountainhorse
12-06-2010, 07:55 PM
Junior,

It was good to talk with you today. Thank you for taking the time to fill in our readers on the new development and ship dates.

The benefits from the third injector into the airbox will also help greatly in cooling the reeds and charge-air from the evaporative effects of the fuel in the box.

There will be many different approaches to turbos on these sleds I'm glad you are able to take time and keep our readers in the loop with your developments.

The full race kits will be interesting on this chassis as well and I'm glad to see that you are NOT using the customer as a "guinea pig" in the development of the product.

Here is a good YouTube on Boondockers Development of the PRO-RMK TURBO

443LYnUXvbQ

longgold
12-06-2010, 08:16 PM
SavedByGrace.

I wont look a gift horse in the mouth I guess...

I do have questions...lots of them, but I will start with the questions I PM'd you a few weeks ago. They are not really open forum questions, more personal choice questions, but here goes;

Hi there,

Look, I'm new to the whole turbo thing, but am 100% doing this. It appears I am going with your unit as it has come highly reccomended.

I am not keen on running Race nor Aviation fuel, as it is damn near impossible to buy where I live (B.C. Canada)...as a result I am looking at a pump gas application (94 Octanne with no Ethanol, Chevron Canada rated).

I ride the Coast Mountain Range, where we have very heavy wet snow conditions primarily, mixed with warm air-temps. Snow accumulation on hoods and vents is unavoidable. I am a tree-rider through and through...so I doubt I will ever want to run high boost, as I dont want spool-up delay nor do I want some high-rpm cluthing that might lead to trenching (please correct me on both isssues if I am off the mark). Long story short, I want bottom end and mid-range all the way through.

I will ventilate the heck out of my 2011 Assault, but my main question is, do I need to (or should I chose to) run the intercooler...regardless of the lower boost range available through pump gas.

My thought is yes, as heat is already an underhood issue stock.

its not a money issue at all, its down to me getting the best out of my set-up.

also, are you familiar with our fuels up here in Canada and is there anything you recommend to run in these set-ups?

Worst case scenario I may be able to buy some 5Gallon Race Gas containers ($75 a pop!) and mix...but I am not overly keen...I am more of a "plug and play" kinda guy, and tracking down alusive fuel types seems unrealistic for me.

My dearler here is relatively new to the whole turbo thing too...you guys need to get here to B.C and educate us all...its crazy...there are plently of riders here that have expendable income.

My dealer is very good, and would move product if someone spent a little time out here getting them working in our conditions.

Mckinney Creek Adventures
12-06-2010, 10:06 PM
Longold..... If you are serious about the turbo, you need to contact me. I was on fence last year. Tried it. Couldnt B without it. I know a sled builder in Kelowna who will build that thing turn key. He has worked with the Boondocker setups since they started. Has built tons of turbos, and knows what he is doing. He built mine and gave me a money back gaurantee. Ya right... You will not get this thing away from me. And it was turn key. A few minor adjustments on the EBC cause mine was his first, but that was about it.

The only problems I am having are holding onto it!

He will be starting to build in the next few weeks as the kits are shipped, so get in line, but I assure you will not regret the drive to Kelowna once or twice!

Now.... You plan on spending X number of dollars on a turbo kit, and want to cut corners on fuel?? Go with the intercoolder, fuel, and boost. 8 lbs is ok, but u get over 11 lbs and that is when things really turn on. I can get you connected with barrels of race fuel if you cant find it. C 12. C 16. Whatever you want.

Mckinney

savedbygrace
12-07-2010, 09:19 AM
SavedByGrace.

I wont look a gift horse in the mouth I guess...

I do have questions...lots of them, but I will start with the questions I PM'd you a few weeks ago. They are not really open forum questions, more personal choice questions, but here goes;

Hi there,

Look, I'm new to the whole turbo thing, but am 100% doing this. It appears I am going with your unit as it has come highly reccomended.

I am not keen on running Race nor Aviation fuel, as it is damn near impossible to buy where I live (B.C. Canada)...as a result I am looking at a pump gas application (94 Octanne with no Ethanol, Chevron Canada rated).

I ride the Coast Mountain Range, where we have very heavy wet snow conditions primarily, mixed with warm air-temps. Snow accumulation on hoods and vents is unavoidable. I am a tree-rider through and through...so I doubt I will ever want to run high boost, as I dont want spool-up delay nor do I want some high-rpm cluthing that might lead to trenching (please correct me on both isssues if I am off the mark). Long story short, I want bottom end and mid-range all the way through.

I will ventilate the heck out of my 2011 Assault, but my main question is, do I need to (or should I chose to) run the intercooler...regardless of the lower boost range available through pump gas.

My thought is yes, as heat is already an underhood issue stock.

its not a money issue at all, its down to me getting the best out of my set-up.

also, are you familiar with our fuels up here in Canada and is there anything you recommend to run in these set-ups?

Worst case scenario I may be able to buy some 5Gallon Race Gas containers ($75 a pop!) and mix...but I am not overly keen...I am more of a "plug and play" kinda guy, and tracking down alusive fuel types seems unrealistic for me.

My dearler here is relatively new to the whole turbo thing too...you guys need to get here to B.C and educate us all...its crazy...there are plently of riders here that have expendable income.

My dealer is very good, and would move product if someone spent a little time out here getting them working in our conditions.

Longgold, Thanks for posting your question publicly, there is a lot of people with the same questions and concerns. Getting these questions out in the open is great help.

A lot of guys are running race gas or at least some kind of race gas mix, but the majority of riders want the convenience of pump gas. All of the testing going on with the Boondocker Pro Turbo to date is on 91 octane without ethanol. Right now we are tuning at about 5500 ft and up, these sleds are running around 8 psi on pump gas. Obviously when you ride lower elevations than this you will have to run a little less boost. For someone riding the coastal mountain ranges, I would recommend a low boost or adjustable boost actuator, and an Electronic Boost Controller. This way you can set you minimum boost low at your low elevation riding area, and the EBC will auto altitude compensate as you ride from there.

Bring on the deep snow, that is what these kits are designed to run in. With our deep snow exhaust and under hood intake, Boondocker Turbo Sleds run in even the deepest conditions.

Intercoolers are a great subject. Anytime you can lower charge air temperatures, you will increase performance and reduce detonation. When you reach boost levels above 8 psi, charge air temps really start to rise fast, that is why we always recommend the use of an intercooler at these higher boost ranges. That being said, intercoolers are also very effective at lower boost levels. The use of a properly designed intercooler system will always enhance performance and should never hinder. Boondocker is testing intercoolers for the Pro now, and will likely have an intercooler upgrade available mid January.

Again thanks for the questions,
Junior

M8Chris
12-07-2010, 10:20 AM
I ran int Jared and rocky in alpine on Saturday and their pro turbos ripped. They have them dialed in and you can tell they have spent a lot of time making sure they are perfect before they ship.

Now what's going to happen when there is ethanol at every station? Run a mix with some race fuel?

SNOW JW
12-07-2010, 10:31 PM
I have been talking with Jared in the AM when I can every day they have been taking these sleds through there paces and the kit is SOLID.

On the Ethanol he said at 10% they had to lower the boost a touch in order for it to keep the DET away so I would recomend a touch more octane Torco mix anything to raise it up a touch.

Arcteryx
12-07-2010, 10:39 PM
Thanks for keeping us updated Savedbygrace!

I was a little surprised to hear that the kits are coming with a 3rd injector. You said this makes it able to run higher boost.
Any idea what boost ranges it will run with and intercooler and the additional injector?? My target boost is 12-14. Just wondering if the intercooler in January is really the only additional part I will need to hit that range??

Thanks.

rubymountainrider
12-09-2010, 09:29 AM
was wanting to know the same question that arcteryx ask how mutch more boost ?

dcturbo
12-09-2010, 08:43 PM
Me 3!! ?????

was wanting to know the same question that arcteryx ask how mutch more boost ?

Anthony Oberti
12-09-2010, 11:18 PM
When are the kits shipping out?

happytime
12-11-2010, 03:48 AM
Im thinkin bout putting a turbo on my 700 iq switchback what brand is best nd how much is it goin to cost or does anyone have a used one for sale thank you