• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RER and E start not working

S
Mar 17, 2008
So i got in a bit of a bender a while back and tore up my control switches. I figured that was making the RER and E-start not work but I put on a new one and it is still not working.

Beforehand, the e-start was making a buzzing noise and I decided that i had a bad relay, which I have fixed. Could I have broke a wire or something inside that is connected to the rer/start button. Any other thoughts?

S
Mar 17, 2008
i put a charger on the batt and it said it was all charged. wouldn't that mean it was fine? or do i need to take it to a shop. also, could it be the relay on the battery. i replaced the other one?

R
Jan 7, 2008
check your electrical cable from handle bars to under dash there is a 6 inch cable mine was working loose and intermittent . when I reached under the dash it came loose as I touched it . it should click when you push it back together.

S
Mar 17, 2008
I've checked my connections, although i am by no means a sled guru. This problem has been persistent although I've come up with a few things that I now know. My rer is not working/nor is my e start. I've considered just removing the battery but i've heard you need a whole new harness. Also I replaced the black cube relay to no avail, i did remove the fuse for the headlights which was a huge help... thanks snowest. at least now i can ride.

but now I've found there is a relay right on the battery that i may try to replace, but I also found that if my handwarmer switch is on then the sled just dies, i'm wondering if this is shorting out my sled because the wires from my broken handwarmer are touching, it may be an unrelated issue. anyhow i appreciate the help and I am going to try and replace the other relay and see if i can just cut the wires that might be shorting out on my handwarmer. any other suggestions... also if anyone wants to trade an estart for non estart i'd be game.

bgraff1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lloydminster, Alberta
does it do anything when you try to start or go into reverse? does it crank and not start/ stop the engine then die when trying to go into reverse? i had the same type of problem when i had a "wreck" with my sled.

S
Mar 17, 2008
does it do anything when you try to start or go into reverse? does it crank and not start/ stop the engine then die when trying to go into reverse? i had the same type of problem when i had a "wreck" with my sled.

no i doesn't do a thing. it used to buzz kinda but that was when my estart first went out. now i don't get a thing...

bgraff1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lloydminster, Alberta
sounds like it has to be something to do with the e-start button or complete housing or the asociated wiring, as you said you put in a new one. if it was the main relay you wouldnt have any headlights and your gauges wouldnt work. if it was the relay/soloniod on the battery the reverse should do something but your e-start wouldnt work (i think). does the high/low beam switch work? do the hand/thumb warmers work?

N
Nov 29, 2020
I have a 2007 Ski Doo Summit X 800 I just bought and I am having the same issues. There is no starter in it, the rev does not work and the headlights also did not work. I noticed the headlight fuse was missing, so I put one in. The sled will not start. I pull start it without the fuse and it starts right up. While running, I put in a headlight fuse and the lights work and still not reverse. I did change out the relay and put in a new battery and same issues.

Having similar issues with 2006 skidoo summit 800. Really just need reverse but there is an electric starter so would be nice to fix that as well. Smashed my headlight assembly last year and haven't been able to get the e-start/rev button working again. Are the headlights hand warmers and estart/rev buttons all wired in series or something that would make none of them work if one is disconnected? Thanks

Premium Features