• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need Help with snowmobile title

S

snowman70

Mar 4, 2008
I live in Nebraska and ride in Wyoming. We do not title snowmobiles in Nebraska. I am selling a snowmobile to a Iowa resident. He said he talked to the courthouse and they need a bill of sale and a title, which I do not have. Anybody know what to do in this case? Any help would be appreciated.

Jan 23, 2009
Boise, ID
If you bought the machine new you should have got the MSO (manufacturers statement of origin) in your paperwork. This is the only certificate that can be used in place of a title.

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
Your dealer should have given you the Certificate of Origin (from the manufacturer) at the time of purchase. It is about 6"x8" with brown print on it. States that use a title ask you to surrender the Certificate of Origin when they create the Certificate of Title.

S

seth25

Jan 9, 2008
Sedalia, CO
I live in Colorado. We do not have titles. I sold a sled to a guy in Utah, who does have titles. I called the DMV in Utah, the lady looked it up, verified that Colorado does not have titles. She said that the buyer in Utah needed a bill of sale OR my Colorado Parks registration and they could issue a Utah title. It should be the same case with Iowa. I would call and talk with someone before I started jumping through hoops to get a title that may not be needed.

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
I just bought a snowmobile from Wyoming which do not issue titles. Being from Idaho it is required to have one.. I called my local DMV and they just stated that the seller w/out the title needed to give me a signed paper stating that no title was given to me since Wyoming does not have titles as well as a bill of sale and Idaho will issue me a title. I am doing this tomorrow to see how it turns out, but this is what the DMV told me.. should be similar in other states as well.

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
Worked the same for us buying from Washington (no title) to Montana (requires title). Bill of sale was all we needed. :)

I
Feb 10, 2010
NW Iowa
when i bought my sled, i ran into the same problem. i had a bill of sale from the guy but he didnt ever register it in his home state as he rode it in idaho and wyoming only. so there was no record of it in minnesota. the courthouse would not take only a bill of sale. i was told i needed either a title for the sled or the current registration. my trail passes on the sled would not work because they didnt require any proof of ownership to obtain them there i guess.

it really sucks and something needs to be standardized! the guy ended up paying registration in MN in order to sell the sled so that a title could be issued to me in iowa.

Premium Features