• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

speedo not working

J

joshua335

Nov 26, 2007
Calgary, AB
Had the gauge cluster replaced in the spring due to a short behind the chaincase, but since then the speed/mileage is not working. It's hooked up to the chaincase assembly. Any ideas where I should look first?

J

joshua335

Nov 26, 2007
Calgary, AB
Had the gauge cluster replaced in the spring due to a short behind the chaincase, but since then the speed/mileage is not working. It's hooked up to the chaincase assembly. Any ideas where I should look first?

Everything else on the gauge cluster works thought (tach, hrs, altitude, etc.), except the speed/mileage...

J

JKF

Nov 26, 2007
Richland and Wenatchee,WA
I'm having to same problem, worked fine last week. Had the shop do a once over and change the plugs, lube, went riding yesterday-no speedometer and sled falls on its face at 7800rpm! Would love to know what the problem is.
Thanks
Jeremy

J

joshua335

Nov 26, 2007
Calgary, AB
Well I've narrowed it down to the wire that comes off the chaincase cover.
You can hook up a meter to that wire and while the sled is running with the track spinning check and see if you can get a small voltage as magnet on the bottom gear creates a small voltage. If you don't get anything likely the wire is not working (assuming the bottom gear has the magnet on it). I didn't get any readings so I ordered a new wire and will try installing this next week. I'll update this post once I try this.
Until then free miles!!

J

joshua335

Nov 26, 2007
Calgary, AB
Well I've narrowed it down to the wire that comes off the chaincase cover.
You can hook up a meter to that wire and while the sled is running with the track spinning check and see if you can get a small voltage as magnet on the bottom gear creates a small voltage. If you don't get anything likely the wire is not working (assuming the bottom gear has the magnet on it). I didn't get any readings so I ordered a new wire and will try installing this next week. I'll update this post once I try this.
Until then free miles!!

Finally got to replace the speedo sensor and it works now! The part number is 504152896 and it was only about 25 bucks. I used clear silicone to glue it back in place.

Premium Features