• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My pull string went bye bye!!

J
Apr 11, 2008
North Bend , WA
I just went out to start my XP and boink, there goes my pull string??!!!!:mad::confused::eek::confused::mad::rolleyes:
I'm f'n pissed. Is there an easy way to get it fixed? I just brought is back from the dealer for the recall and update repairs.
Should I just take it back and have them take care of it under warranty??

I'm glad it happened noow!!!:rolleyes::D

A

Adrenaline Revolution

Nov 17, 2002
In the foothills of the Cascades
I just went out to start my XP and boink, there goes my pull string??!!!!:mad::confused::eek::confused::mad::rolleyes:
I'm f'n pissed. Is there an easy way to get it fixed? I just brought is back from the dealer for the recall and update repairs.
Should I just take it back and have them take care of it under warranty??

I'm glad it happened noow!!!:rolleyes::D

It can be kind of a PITA if you're not real mechanically inclined.
Take it back to the dealer if it isn't too much of a hassle.

Did the rope break or did it slide out of the starter catch?

Replace it with high quality sailboat rigging line.

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
oh man, that really sucks.
If they will fix it, I would let them do it. It can be a serious pain to re-do it.

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
So Doo is keeping the weight down with the pull cord using string huh? At least the rest of the manu's use 3/16" rope. ;)

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
So Doo is keeping the weight down with the pull cord using string huh? At least the rest of the manu's use 3/16" rope. ;)

LMAO!!
know wounder cats are so heave 3/16 rope will weigh you down!!
and YamaHHAA 1"rope and all!!!

M

magician

Jul 9, 2001
So. East, Idaho
starter rope

Not sure if this is right or not but I tie a knot a inch or two from the handle just in case the knot comes undone. It stops before it disappears out of sight into the recoil.

C
Oct 28, 2008
Pleasant Grove, UT
electric starts are for *****s and idiots who cant pull a rope and like an extra 30lbs on their sled.
anyways if the dealer will fix it let them if not the work is not too bad. I dont ride skidoo for myself but i do for a touring company i work for.
take off the pipes, get a long extension and a flash light cause it is hard to see. take off all of the bolts off of the cover and you'll find your rope. thread it through the correct holes so you dont hurt the rope on any of your engine parts. pretty easy really just make sure you tie a good knot in the handle and burn the rope end, and make sure you put lots of lock tite on the bolts, they vibrate out of those skidoos constantly. hope this helps.

trikerider

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
Ellensburg Wa
My friend had a couple little things go wrong with his REV. After it taking a couple hours to fix them because of the way their designed he got so mad he switched brands.

B
Nov 26, 2007
did this on my old summit 500. Unbolt it from the sled. take off the cover. Use a Clamp to hold it down and use Grips to pull the line back out the hole. Make a Small Knot at the end. i usally pull out 3 feet worth. Reinstall. heres the tricky part. LOL. I used a pair of plyers to hold the rope from sucking back in. Like a wedge. This all took about 10 mins. and yes. it's a Pain in the arse. 2 knots and a lighter+washer. Never again.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Figure 8 knot and burn the end. It will never come loose. A rope is pretty easy, usually the doo's break that cheap plastic pawl.

whitefish

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kent WA
Suck it up and do it yourself. Mainly so you know how to do it 30 miles from nowhere, in the cold with a flashlight in your mouth.

MTNMAN800

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Denver Colorado
Suck it up and do it yourself. Mainly so you know how to do it 30 miles from nowhere, in the cold with a flashlight in your mouth.

It is a PITA but whitefish has a point. If you have some time and a nice place to work on it, I would 2nd the notion to do it yourself so you know the pitfalls of the job should you have to do it again.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
If I'm on the mountain and my pull rope gets sucked in.... i'll start it using the loose end of a tow strap wrapping it around the primary. Sucks to start that way, but it will get the job done.

Also, put a knot on the other side of the pull handle... so if the handle breaks or the end-side knot fails, the inside knot will keep the rope from gettin sucked in.

S

sodfarmer

Dec 5, 2007
If I'm on the mountain and my pull rope gets sucked in.... i'll start it using the loose end of a tow strap wrapping it around the primary. Sucks to start that way, but it will get the job done.

Also, put a knot on the other side of the pull handle... so if the handle breaks or the end-side knot fails, the inside knot will keep the rope from gettin sucked in.

Mule the extra knot on the backside of the pull handle is the best suggestion I have heard in a while. Golf claps for mule everyone. :D

Premium Features